Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Doh!!!

Obsessed

I don't tend to have very much free time, so I will shoot my bow once or twice (100-200 arrows total), just prior to hunting season, to verify that my bow is still accurate, and my form is still good. (Admittedly, the first shot of the year that I took in 2019 was on the biggest buck that I've ever harvested, and at 54 yards. It was a fluke hunt opportunity really early in the season and I hadn't had a chance to practice. It's good to be lucky.) I practiced this year and verified that I was still on out to 60. Anyway, I don't tend to practice shoot at all during the season because all of the free time I have is spent in the woods, actually hunting. I trust my gear and my skill.

During one of my first hunts this year, I drew on a button buck, just to go through the mechanics and make sure I could get stood up and drawn without it seeing me in this new stand. I nearly got to full draw when my release detached from my wrist. Arrow went flying. The release went down, "THWACK!", let go of the string on the rebound, and flew off over my left shoulder and onto the ground below my stand. That was humbling, but I chalked it up to me going over with the first Velcro overlap when I should have gone under. A good palm slap to the forehead and I won't ever do that again. Geer all checked out fine. Everything was still tight and no rattles, so good to go. Release was even fine. Total user error.

2ish weeks ago, I lip squeaked in a yote to like directly under me, and shot to the right of him. Thought I must have pushed the shot a bit or something. Something I'd have to keep in mind for future shots.

Hunted all weekend this past weekend in the cold. Walked most of Saturday and loved it. Sat most of Sunday off and on since there wasn't any cover wind and froze my arse before dawn and after dusk.

Hung a new stand on Sunday and climbed into it around 2:30. Rattled as soon as I got situated and in walks a mature 150 - 160. 1st mature buck I've ever rattled in that presented a shot opportunity. Tall white tines and pretty symmetrical. He came in to 40, didn't see anything, turned to go back, so I popped off a couple of short grunts. He turned back around, started thrashing some pucker brush and came into me on a string. I decided I would be happy to end my season with this mature buck. He presented a nice nearly head on shot at 15 yards, as he was coming up out of a ravine, so I took the shot when he stopped. Clear missed him to the right. Couldn't believe it!!! I'm no crack shot, but now I'd missed two targets within 15 yards. WTAF?!

I was steaming mad and nearly climbed out of the tree and went home, but the weather was perfect, and we're still smack in the middle of the rut, so I stayed put and told myself that I would concentrate on not pushing my next shot. 30 minutes later and another 150 - 160 with thicker chocolate tines, comes running across behind me. I mepped him and got him to stop broadside at 14 - 15 yards, (tail to the left and head to the right). Had left hand open, as not to squeeze and twist the bow at all, I centered on his heart and released the arrow. To my shock, I watched the arrow just graze the bottom of his neck / front of his chest and stick into the dirt. I couldn't believe what just happened! AGAIN!!!

I felt completely dejected all Sunday night and Monday morning. Set up my target over lunch on Monday to shoot it at 15 yards from my deck, aimed center target and missed the target completely to the right. Turns out my arrow rest (whisker biscuit) had been bumped quite a bit to the right. I was shooting a good foot or more to the right at 15 yards! All bolts were still tight and I was great elevation wise, but off left and right. I felt like a complete asshat. My guess is that during my release mishap, the release swung around and clocked the arrow rest hard enough to jolt it to the right, but not loosen the bolt in the process. I was so F-ing angry at myself that I didn't run at least a couple practice shots through after the release mishap. I could kick myself!

Humble pie. It tastes awful, but every once in a while, I force myself to eat some. Some years, more often than others.

Bummer. I don't shoot as much as I used to pre-season, biggest problem was not being able to draw the bow in cold weather one year when I slacked off practicing. I did bend the site pins somehow going in to hunt once but I always look over the mechanical parts of the bow when I'm in the stand and seen the pins were slightly bent so I gave up on that hunt. Even a little twig wedge between the string and cam can spell disaster.

As far as releases, mine has a velcro strap also and I've had used it for 25 years but was looking ragged around the edges and I retired it. I did have an issue once on a 160" 8 in Illinois, had a good buck trotting across a field at 45 yards and grunted to get his attention, he looked over then started to keep going so I snort-wheezed and he took off like a bolt of lightning. A second later I heard a twig break, looked over my shoulder and the giant 8 was 5 yards behind me and walked out of the timber at 4 yards. I knew why the other buck bolted now and started to draw as he stood slightly quartering and stopped to scratch his right ear. I was just about at full draw when the arrow released and stuck in the ground right beside him, WTF, apparently I didn't have the release trigger engaged completely or I somehow didn't have my finger behind the trigger when I drew like I aways do? He never heard the arrow or my bow plinking most likely because he was scratching his ear with his back leg. Lessons learned the hard way, we all do it.

Bummer. I don't shoot as much as I used to pre-season, biggest problem was not being able to draw the bow in cold weather one year when I slacked off practicing. I did bend the site pins somehow going in to hunt once but I always look over the mechanical parts of the bow when I'm in the stand and seen the pins were slightly bent so I gave up on that hunt. Even a little twig wedge between the string and cam can spell disaster.

As far as releases, mine has a velcro strap also and I've had used it for 25 years but was looking ragged around the edges and I retired it. I did have an issue once on a 160" 8 in Illinois, had a good buck trotting across a field at 45 yards and grunted to get his attention, he looked over then started to keep going so I snort-wheezed and he took off like a bolt of lightning. A second later I heard a twig break, looked over my shoulder and the giant 8 was 5 yards behind me and walked out of the timber at 4 yards. I knew why the other buck bolted now and started to draw as he stood slightly quartering and stopped to scratch his right ear. I was just about at full draw when the arrow released and stuck in the ground right beside him, WTF, apparently I didn't have the release trigger engaged completely or I somehow didn't have my finger behind the trigger when I drew like I aways do? He never heard the arrow or my bow plinking most likely because he was scratching his ear with his back leg. Lessons learned the hard way, we all do it.
I've had that happen once while practice shooting. Got to about 3/4 draw and the arrow went flying. I wasn't aiming at the ground or the target at 3/4 draw either.

I lowered my bow down from the stand last week. I thought, Gee, that seems kind of close to the base of the tree. Instead of lifting to swing it out away from the base, I just left it. I climbed down, started to take a trail cam off the base of the tree I had been in, stepped back with a crunch. Knew right away it wasn't good. Looks like I'll be replacing a bow sight. :( Went to my back up bow for the rest of the season. DOH!!

I read back through what I wrote and want to provide a little more detail clarity about my buck size / score estimates. I don't run cams or know or name my deer, etc. When I see a buck, I quickly look over the body and the rack and determine if it's a shooter for me or not. Then I try not to look at the antlers after that, only focusing on the eyes, ears, body language, and kill zone. I don't know if they're an 8 point or 10 point, etc until they're in my hands. So, when I estimate on the hoof while I'm hunting like this, I'm simply making a quick guestimate, based off of comparing what I initially see against other deer that I know the scores of.

I thought my 190 was 150ish before I laid my hands on him, because all I got a look at was the broadside view. I also thought my son's 180 was 160ish too, on the hoof. I've overestimated a few too, but we don't have to talk about those... ;)

You did 1 of 2 things most guys don’t do or forget to do IMO…. Drawing back on that button buck!!’ Love it!!! I do that at least a few times a week as well. Great practice. The second I think is common…. U bump your site or rest or whatever hard Enough- yep- that’ll do it!!! We all been there!!! Only remedy is to shoot your bow between hunts. But doesn’t guarantee it doesn’t happen before you able to check. That’s called “$hit happens” & bad luck every dude on here dealt with. Gun or bow.
I had a pull back mitten cover over my glove that would hit the trigger on my release but I only realized this when I started to draw on a 180” buck & arrow fly through the trees. We all been there. Bet your bow is spot on now & next buck is toast!!!!

You did 1 of 2 things most guys don’t do or forget to do IMO…. Drawing back on that button buck!!’ Love it!!! I do that at least a few times a week as well. Great practice. The second I think is common…. U bump your site or rest or whatever hard Enough- yep- that’ll do it!!! We all been there!!! Only remedy is to shoot your bow between hunts. But doesn’t guarantee it doesn’t happen before you able to check. That’s called “$hit happens” & bad luck every dude on here dealt with. Gun or bow.
I had a pull back mitten cover over my glove that would hit the trigger on my release but I only realized this when I started to draw on a 180” buck & arrow fly through the trees. We all been there. Bet your bow is spot on now & next buck is toast!!!!
A Doh! moment on a 180" is an automatic upgrade to an Oofdah!

My son was struggling with his shooting. Figured out he wasn't relaxed and he was trigger punching his release. He switched to a thumb release to help that.

He relaxed a bit too much and forgot to hold on tight. Sent his release into his brand new drop away and sheared it clean off.

Another $100 and a week later, he did it AGAIN. JB cold weld is amazing.

Screenshot_20221117-093559.png

My son was struggling with his shooting. Figured out he wasn't relaxed and he was trigger punching his release. He switched to a thumb release to help that.

He relaxed a bit too much and forgot to hold on tight. Sent his release into his brand new drop away and sheared it clean off.

Another $100 and a week later, he did it AGAIN. JB cold weld is amazing.
Love it! We may be brothers from another mother WTR. I get angry with my kids when they do stuff like this, but then I remember they may come by it genetically. ;)

I did the same thing years ago. Bow got hung up pulling it up the tree in the dark, gave it a yank and it moved my drop away rest. Missed 2 bucks just like you before I figured it out. Thanka for the reminder, I need to verify mine is still good to go.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I did the same thing years ago. Bow got hung up pulling it up the tree in the dark, gave it a yank and it moved my drop away rest. Missed 2 bucks just like you before I figured it out. Thanka for the reminder, I need to verify mine is still good to go.
The 1st is humbling. The 2nd is gut wrenching.

Top Bottom