Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Drought

I've LOVED doing foodplots 4 20 years but aside from wasting time n money during drought/ floods, we can all still enjoy great hunting.
( I seldom) sit over a plot unless filling doe tags.
Read this and it got me thinking about hunting styles and how unique it really is. 9 million ways to skin the cat of hunting. For me, 95% of the time I'm sitting on a foodplot and most always a micro plot on the way to larger good source. The cat and mouse is always access.

..thinking out loud... the idea of hunting new and different ways is a bit intriguing. Certain properties lend themselves differently obviously

Good things with Drought: Yes the loneranger has some good things to mention! No Mosquitos, No ticks,,hard to find a Chigger. Couple weeks ago pesky flies while sitting on my porch. Tonight NOT a Fly!! Guess bugs need moisture too.....

Forecast through mid Sept is unseasonably cool. Which means a NW flow over Iowa. Not a wet pattern. Maybe some showers around. Not enough moisture for my ground to plant rye or anything Hope it changes. Our problem is still the record heat in the west. That there doesn’t bode well for a moist flow over Iowa. Need cold in the Rockies. Oh there I go being negative again. Sorry just what the weather services are saying.

I'm selling an irrigation system if anyone is interested. It's in the classifieds.
Good luck with your plots!

Drought? What drought?

My personal guide sent me these pics of his hand selected spot for me to sit and wait for deer to stroll by.

Food plot 2.jpg
Food plot 1.jpg

Looks pretty green to me.

Where’s that? Minn? MO ? Drove today. Ottumwa to Prairie City to Coalfax to Maxwell to Madrid. Didn’t see a green landscape. Like that.

Well looks good. I planted radish and rootebegas last of July. They came up great. Then ground to a hault and the deer munched them to the dust. No rain for August. So I just tilled my plots again. Raked in rye and oats. Waiting for the much publicized rain next week. Try again to get something growing in Iowa. The Quad Cities Office says may only be light rain amounts. Hope that’s wrong.

They are estimating 2.19" for next week all in, in nw mo. Need it terrible. Planted wheat and rye yesterday. Radishes could use a drink, and pumpkins, well, 600 seeds, 50 plants came up, and we count 6 pumpkins total.. first year for pumpkins, a lot to learn. .

A few weeks ago they forecast a widespread good rain and it completely fizzled. As my Dad used to say," In a drought all signs of rain fail." Time will tell. This year we went into summer with a full soil moisture profile. July 1st we were too wet. Look how fast that changed.

All fall plots are in and praying for rain next week!! Got a stock pyle of rye in the barn to overseed everything if needed in couple of weeks!! ( plots currently look like a ball diamond in field!! Lol!! )but I got my mock scrapes with vines in just the right spots!! even with no food they will still mark there territory!!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom