Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

EDH Madison Co

joed

We found four dead bucks in the creek today all within about 500 yards. I could see no injuries so I am assuming EDH. The CO is going to mail me four salvage tags. This is just south of Earlham. The CO said this was about his 5th call this year. We have never seen this before on this farm. They range from about 120" to 160".

Friend found 2 suspected EHD bucks West of Blakesburg and south of the Ranch and 4 in Van Buren Co.....Hope folks will post other finds and what counties/ area of county they were found in.......just trying to get idea how severe it is

From what I have gathered through the years...EHD is possible every year, but is far worse in drought years. All it takes is those deer getting bit by the right midge and it's nights out for them.

From what I have gathered through the years...EHD is possible every year, but is far worse in drought years. All it takes is those deer getting bit by the right midge and it's nights out for them.

Agreed! The disease is always out there and a few deer are probably lost every year. Just some years it really gets bad.

Found two more dead ones yesterday in Wayne County. Brings my total to four for the year not even looking

EHD hits every year. If you think about it - 2 weeks without rain, midges hatch & deer by xyz watering hole get bit - game over. Last year, had one of the best bucks on farm die approx Sept 15, laying dead right by a pond with velvet hanging off. I'm 99% sure EHD. It's "How bad is it" in any given year, drought years, heck, who knows, could kill 80% of the herd i suppose. I really want to get the scientific information on EHD - it's a bad deal. i'm far from an expert and sure wanna learn more.

Here's 2 observations I don't have answer to.....
1) It seems like it gets older bucks the most often. sometimes does yes, BUT, for the most part, older bucks, 3+++. The older they are, it seems like the more vulnerable they are and what I find. Like a 5-6 year old buck, I mean I've seen some healthy studs die. Can anyone explain my perception (right or wrong??) why older bucks seem to be the most common victims?
2) Madison from all accounts I heard, was the hardest hit several years ago in the whole state. I know that almost for a fact & DNR put out #'s back then that reflected it. Guys I knew over there - catastrophe. other areas I was in were hit really bad but not as bad as Madison. It pounded every area I was in for sure though and killed a ton of bucks off, massive. SO - is EHD more "engrained or infected" into certain areas? Like a bacteria or virus in anything, could it be it's more concentrated (somehow, don't know how??) in places like Madison co? They for sure got it worse and many counties/areas were worse than others - all with similar conditions. Why the difference? Sucks, that's for sure. I hate seeing vultures right now. hate it. This time of year, 2 types of vultures popping up, Vultures on dead deer & poaching Vultures. Guys poaching deer are the worst of the 2 vultures but both pop up about now and suck big time.

I'd like to know more answers on this as well. For instance why has it not hit in MN? It seems to hit areas with high deer populations, is there more to it than that?

It hit South Dakota and basically hit the counties with high deer populations, and some nearby areas had no issues?

I too am not an EHD scientist, but I would first suspect weather/climatic conditions as to why it hits some areas harder in a given year. Even though a good part of southern Iowa was very wet this year(June and July in particular), when the rain stopped falling...it stopped pretty good for several weeks. We never had what I would call drought in my area of SE Iowa this summer, but it also did not rain much, or at all, for about 6-7 weeks in August/Sept.

So...how about this scenario...it isn't as much about drought as what many of us have thought...it is more about the water levels flucuating in the ponds and seasonal creeks...mostly as it relates to dropping water levels. Clearly, in a drought year, we all know that there are plenty of exposed creek banks and pond banks that the midges emerge from. And the worst EHD outbreaks seem to be highly correlated with drought years.

But maybe even in a wet year when the water levels are up...the EHD problem emerges, but to a lesser degree than in a widespread drought, when the water levels inevitably fall, then there is still previously submerged banks that have midges waiting to come on out, etc.

I think the answer to ring all ponds, rivers and lakes with plywood...to keep the midges at bay! :D

Saw a suspect mature doe in a ditch today. Could not see any sign of being car hit or shot, just big dead doe near a wet area? Dave is right,,it now is getting dry in SE Iowa,,though continues to rain on you guys up north and especially west Iowa.

I too am not an EHD scientist, but I would first suspect weather/climatic conditions as to why it hits some areas harder in a given year. Even though a good part of southern Iowa was very wet this year(June and July in particular), when the rain stopped falling...it stopped pretty good for several weeks. We never had what I would call drought in my area of SE Iowa this summer, but it also did not rain much, or at all, for about 6-7 weeks in August/Sept.

So...how about this scenario...it isn't as much about drought as what many of us have thought...it is more about the water levels flucuating in the ponds and seasonal creeks...mostly as it relates to dropping water levels. Clearly, in a drought year, we all know that there are plenty of exposed creek banks and pond banks that the midges emerge from. And the worst EHD outbreaks seem to be highly correlated with drought years.

But maybe even in a wet year when the water levels are up...the EHD problem emerges, but to a lesser degree than in a widespread drought, when the water levels inevitably fall, then there is still previously submerged banks that have midges waiting to come on out, etc.

I think the answer to ring all ponds, rivers and lakes with plywood...to keep the midges at bay! :D

How about concrete? Would last longer. Pretty pricey tho.

Found another doe by a creek. Is why I have not shot a doe for yrs. That makes two Doe found now. Adds up to a possible loss of 6 deer.:confused:

I heard somewhere that the reason bucks get it worse is that the midge can more easily bite thru the velvet on bucks antlers as opposed to getting thru a deer's thick hair and hide.

I heard somewhere that the reason bucks get it worse is that the midge can more easily bite thru the velvet on bucks antlers as opposed to getting thru a deer's thick hair and hide.

Ah ha...that seems plausible to me. Interesting.

One was found in Marion/Mahaska area yesterday. It was still warm. CO stopped and confirmed EHD. Said it has picked up the last couple weeks in our area.

Top Bottom