Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Elk Hunting?

Maggs

Just found out yesterday that two friends and I drew mature bull tags for New Mexico this Fall. Our first time applying and none of us have been elk hunting before. Needless to say we're all pumped. Just curious if any members here are experienced elk hunters? Thanks. Maggs.

You dirty dawg! Just where are you hiding that horse shoe??? No experience here but I just turned green! Good luck and I will expect a full report with pics when you return!

trper,
If Maggs and his friends go to jail can they transfer said tags to someone or two...... ;0)>

I don't know what the deal is. I keep buying those lottery tickets and all I can get is elk tags! I guess it's a fair trade!!! There will definitely be pictures and hopefully some success stories. Now I have to wait till middle October. No fair trying to recruit trper; even though we're well out of his district I'm sure he has a few contacts on this side of the State. Maggs.

elk have to be the greatest thing on earth to hunt. I hope you do well Maggs. our camp will be set in sw colorado on Oct 6 it can't get here soon enough 2 weeks of bliss in the Colorado Rockies.

I drew an archery Mule deer tag for Colorado this year. Now my hope is that my unit ain't burned up before I get there. If it's still there I will probably buy an Elk tag too! Good Luck Guys!

Just found out yesterday that they are about ready to evacuate the area just west of where we hunt in CO, due to the fires. Hope the fire doesn't jump the Pine but my contact there said embers are traveling 1/2 mile. Will be upset if I can't go after the elk in my favorite area this fall.
frown.gif

Sounds like alot of hunters are holding their breath because of the wildfires. Luckily our spot is in SE New Mexico and they are one of the few areas not severely impacted by the drought. No fires there yet either. Hope your spots turn out OK. Maggs

Congrats on drawing a tag. Myself and a friend are going elk hunting in colorado with bow this year in mid september. This will be the first time elk hunting for both of us. Two of my uncles and my aunt who live by Gunnison said that they would take us out. We will be on all private land. My one uncle was a guide in Alaska for caribou, moose, and kodiak bear. He said he doesn't promise us a wall hanger but he does promise us a nice 4x4 or 5x5. I myself am not going to be picky my first year. It is nice because all we have to pay for is are tag and the drive down there. We will stay at their place. We are very pumped on going. It's not what you know, it's who you know.

good unit double lung have hunted near gunnison befor just be carefull of the bears

I have done a little hunting out west. Having used to live in Colorado, I can tell you that if it is something that you have never done, you will either love it or be very intimidated by the magnitude of everything around you.

Best of luck on your New Mexico hunt! I know I am looking forward to my October trip to Colorado.

dturner

Top Bottom