Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Elk in north east iowa?

Crab Claws 12

PMA Member
This past weekend while turkey hunting around Yellow River Forest I saw two cow elk and a bull on public hunting ground. wondering if any body els has seen them? I noticed a yellow ear tag in one of the cows.

Wouldn't surpise me at all a few escapees might be wandering around. There's at least two high fence operations not far from YRF.

[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't surpise me at all a few escapees might be wandering around. There's at least two high fence operations not far from YRF.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said... Definately prisoners on the run. They would be hard to catch in that forest.
smirk.gif

I heard that, but wasn't sure how to take it. There is a good chance they come from one place. You should be able to tell there bulls by now. They should have alot of regrowth by now. They start growing them back quite a bit earlier than whitetails.

[ QUOTE ]
I heard that, but wasn't sure how to take it. There is a good chance they come from one place. You should be able to tell there bulls by now. They should have alot of regrowth by now. They start growing them back quite a bit earlier than whitetails.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh i didnt know that. how cool would it have been to see them in the fall!!

[ QUOTE ]
So, are they fair game?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, elk are protected in Iowa. You might be able to make a case that you didn't kill a wild elk if it had a tag in it's ear, but that might open you up to civil action from the original owner.
confused.gif

I'd just avoid the legal nightmare.

I don't know about NW Iowa, but I know where there are 75 bulls in SW Iowa.
grin.gif

Right now they have about 80 inches of growth on mature bulls and about 35-40 inches on 3-5 year olds.

Top Bottom