Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Enclosed Blinds???

A well made one is almost 100%. I've done it before. I have a couple I will hunt on any wind. No problems whatsoever. Just have to build them with good doors and windows.

A well made one is almost 100%. I've done it before. I have a couple I will hunt on any wind. No problems whatsoever. Just have to build them with good doors and windows.

Any ideas which manufactured box blinds are built best for scent control?

Do you have the 'archery windows' on the corners of your shadow hunter? I'm thinking of getting one/some and want some real-life input before shelling out that much $$.

Yes, we do have the archery windows... I think the blind is a pain, but as I said, I am quite a bit bigger than my bro in law for draw length and size... I cant shoot out of it other than one spot out each window with comfort...

I have heard of guys adding a makeshift "Chimney" out of drain tile, etc.... String up a ten or 15 foot piece in a tree above your blind. Lets your scent drift out way above the deer's nose and also allows fresh air in and keeps windows from fogging up. I think it is a good idea for anyone running a gas heater to have some sort of ventilation.

I have probably hunted my favorite blind over 200 times since I built it and have only been busted 1 time when the wood frames on my homemade Windows warped and allowed air through. I fixed that with an additional latch a few years back and have not been busted since. I just recently put one in a bottom where I know the wind will swirl. I have no doubt I will get away with hunting this blind where a stand would never work. During the late hunting season, I have may have over 20 deer downwind feeding at once and they never know a thing.

Can you get Lickcreek blinds anywhere? I couldn't find a website.

I am not sure if he is still making and selling blinds these days, but the Lick Creek business is just on the north side of Birmingham, IA, west side of the road. I think the owner's last name is Mathes, or at least it used to be. He was friends with Paul Knox(Dbltree) too FWIW.

I’ve hunted most now... lick creek, redneck, shadow hunter, homemade, banks, etc. I may be the worst voice since I’m the least fussy & I’ve only killed one buck with a bow out of a blind in my life.

2 cents...
gun I still hunt based on wind. So- it doesn’t take much to be happy. Being out of wind & elements late season is nice !! I wish I knew which was most air tight. I still have problems with most blinds getting flies in them. One blind I was not impressed with (just my opinion) was muddy.... was just copying rednecks design but with cheaper parts/make up..... all of em I saw weathered fast & had issues in very short time. Rednecks, shadow hunters & banks are still in great shape after many years. There’s one more brand I wanted to look at that a buddy has - hunters comfort or something??? He got a truck load pretty darn reasonable. Buck hollow sells banks pretty reasonably too.
I’m happy with all my brands to be honest though.

I've never hunted from an enclosed blind before, as I have never gun hunted for deer. BUT, it seems more and more people are using them for bowhunting now.

Most of our deer activity during the daylight is down in the back valley. We have a stand down there but the wind can really swirl at any time and shoot down the valley, no good.

My questions are these...

Would an enclosed blind work down there?

Are there any that are almost entirely sealed that let our no or very little scent?

Just curious on others experiences and recommendations. Thanks, Mark.
I sell Redneck andnI will say I was skeptical before I used one. Made it a point to hunt out of them this year and on bad winds especially. I was blown away with the results when keeping the windows closed. On a 5' tower we had bucks feeding straight down wind all evening. The does, especially the mature ones were leary and would work around us scent checking but didn't spook. I was impressed. No ozone just normal personal scent control

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I sell Redneck andnI will say I was skeptical before I used one. Made it a point to hunt out of them this year and on bad winds especially. I was blown away with the results when keeping the windows closed. On a 5' tower we had bucks feeding straight down wind all evening. The does, especially the mature ones were leary and would work around us scent checking but didn't spook. I was impressed. No ozone just normal personal scent control

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hmmm...what was your experience when you had to open a window to shoot?

Agree with above. In a redneck.... no attention to wind. That combined with being super careful on scent control and non issue. I do not go hunting without showering. If a garmet touches my skin it only gets warn once. Dedicated washer dryer. Hunting room with commercial ozone. Combine that with sitting in a quality enclosed blind... don't care about wind.

Top Bottom