Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Experiment: Roller crimper vs. glyphosate

chadw

I’m running a little experiment in our largest food plot... we planted it to corn and beans from PF. Half we sprayed with glyphosate. The other half, we roller crimped. Gonna see if rollercrimping does as well as chemicals for weed control.

What experiments/tests are you guys running this year?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stoked to see how it goes !!
last year was alfalfa vs clover. This year,... hmmmm.... I’ll probably continue almost all no till for everything & use legume N production for a lot of plots.
keep us posted!

My 2021 experiments:
-I drilled some beans into standing rye without spraying and without crimping. Not sure how that is going to go, but wanted to try it.
-Trying IMOX on clover
-Will be drilling brassicas for first time

I did one experiment this year.... no till corn into rye & then no till corn into brassicas....

for the 1st time, I’m actually more impressed with the rye to corn. It’s bizarre & didn’t think I’d be saying that but I am! I took video of it. I’ll post it later.

Well, i’m a bit embarrassed to share the video of the results of roller Crimper vs gly. The entire plot is weedy! And the corn is dwarfed. Prob need more soil amendments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, i’m a bit embarrassed to share the video of the results of roller Crimper vs gly. The entire plot is weedy! And the corn is dwarfed. Prob need more soil amendments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't beat yourself, we have all "been there". :) I am very interested in getting over to no-till all the way too, but there have definitely been ups and downs. What are your takeaways?

Oh yes we have all been there....
I just wonder if the roller crimper is better suited following a rye or oats or buckwheat type crop? so maybe the crimper is better off used for a fall food plot and stick to using the herbicides on the spring planted grains.
you said there is beans in there, if they are still green I would go and spray your field right away and give those beans a chance, still plenty of growing season left for them depending on the maturity rate

THIS IS HOW U LEARN FOLKS!!!!!
ive done stuff like this x 100!!! :).
thank you for sharing & EVERYONE deals with these challenges!!!!! & learning.

Side note: Looks like u did corn & beans together ….. this can be done. Has to be herbicide controlled:
Get E3 beans…. Which take enlist 2,4-d, Gly & liberty. Get corn that’s Gly + Liberty (glufosinate) tolerant or don’t use Liberty if not.
Gly, Liberty, enlist 2,4-d, s-metolachlor (dual II) & even could run prowl h20 & few others….. if u want to get into how to spray - I can get into that. I’ll leave it at this. It can be done & it’s herbicide controlled. Needs plenty of N added!!…. contrary to some suggestions out there….. needs lots of N & good levels of p&k, etc. again, I can get in detail here if needed.

I would plant separate. It avoids a lot of problems. It may be more work but it’s better IMO. Fence if needed. Seperate is better in most every regard except maybe a few minor points. .

I've always wondered about this as well. Grant Woods has supposedly done this for years just roller crimping rye and no-til beans "with nothing else" but I've always wondered if he did use herbicides. His plots were always too clean to believe just the rye did the trick IMO..

Top Bottom