Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

FINALLY!!!!! I KILLED A 4TH SEASON BIRD IN IOWA!!

Bukslayr

Turkey hunting is a great and fun sport in my book and always be. However 4th Season is always my Nemesis. I have had some good seasons over the past 8 years even though I didnt shoot any birds in Iowa the 2 previous years. I always had good luck in Nebraska that kind of made up for my tough hunting here in the Hawkeye State.

As you probably have already seen I had a good 2nd Season with taking a nice Tom down in Southern Iowa that I had to work really hard for doing the old "Run & Gun" method.

That had worked well for me so I thought that I would try to do that yesterday afternoon on my home turf on a piece of land that a great friend from my church owns and has let me hunt for about 6 years. Upon arriving and making my way into the woods I knew it would be tough because the weather had been rough. I started out running down to the west end of the property trying to get bird to gobble. That was not very productive. I hadn’t seen or heard a bird all day. The land owner told me I should sit in his blind that afternoon. So I headed down that way. This blind is not portable but however it is built out of treated lumber and on skids and has shoot through windows and carpeting. Pretty darn nice for sure. Once I opened the door I noticed two hen decoys inside and being as I had forgotten mine in the truck I decided to set out these two decoys in front of the blind. I waited for about 2 hours and hadn’t heard nothing.

Then all of the sudden the deer started to move. I seen what looked to be a fresh shed buck and some does and then a buck with visible velvet forks about 4 inches off of his head. I have a feeling he will be a dandy this fall. While I was looking at the deer I caught some movement out of the corner of my eye and grabbed the binos and took a second look and noticed it was a Jake moving my way. Right behind him was another Jake in tow. I hit the slate call and the two Jake came slowly walking twards the decoys. Once they got within about 10 yards of them they stopped and looked around for a little bit to make sure there wasn’t a Tom around to slap them around. Once they knew they were safe they moved in to try and seal the deal with the ladies. They both started to strut and I thought to myself “should I shoot a Jake or not? This is fun! I have some time left in the season but I really want to spend it with my wife trying to get here to kill a bird. Oh the hell with it! I will shoot the Jake with the fuller fan of the two.” BOOOOOM!!

I shot the big Jake at 8 yards.
That’s right 8 yards!!!

He folded like a suitcase and proceeded to get his ass kicked by the other Jake as soon as he fell on the ground. I had to get out of the blind to scare him off! What a hunt!!

This is the first bird that I can remember shooting in 4th season in Iowa.

A great spring turkey season has now come to a close for me with 2 birds and no tag soup!!!

Thanks for reading!!

Here is my Jake
2008Jake1.jpg

2008Jake2.jpg

Here is my tom from 2nd season
bird3.jpg

I am proud of the season I had.
I can honestly say that I worked hard for both of these birds!!

Re: FINALLY!!!!! I KILLED A 4TH SEASON BIRD IN IO

Gotta love the terrible T's!!!!

Congrats bro!!!!

No tag soup. you gotta love it. Congrats!

Great job Jeremy. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

hoofline.gif

Congrats Jeremy, great season. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

hoofline.gif

Would you like more information about becoming a PMA or Life Member? >>>>> Details Here!<<<<<

Top Bottom