Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

First Bow Deer

Schwager

A.Schwager
Finally.. Is about the best way I can describe this great feeling of my first bow kill. After a few years of struggling (misses and nervousness) Ive finally downed my first one. My brother "schwager2" and I were hunting a property we haven't been on in a few years. We stopped seeing as many deer on the property once the man who bought the land moved a cabin in and decided to live in it, some 200 yards from our best stand. Since then he has told us multiple times to start hunting it again since the deer have grown used to seeing him and were back in that area. So a week from Friday, my father "Maggs" set a stand in the same tree that we had hunted for 7 or so years as well as one about 60-70 yards from that. My brother is in his second year of hunting so I let him pick which stand he wanted to hunt and I would hunt the other. He chose the new spot, leaving me in the same exact tree my dad had killed his largest bow buck out of on the same night (Halloween) about 7 years ago. To make a much longer story short, we didn't see a whole lot besides squirrels and rabbits for the first couple hours. With about 20 min of light left and both of us freezing our asses off from the ice cold wind we had here this weekend, this doe came running past my brothers stand heading right towards me. Lucky for me she stopped about 30 yards from my stand to look back in my brothers direction giving me my one opportunity to stand, grab my bow and nock an arrow all in one motion. From there she continued her jog and in my drawing motion I let out an overly loud "meeehhh" she froze just long enough for me to drill her with a clean passthrough right through her heart. She ran about 30 yards downhill and then 35 back towards me, only to die 15 yards behind me in a brush pile. Dealing with much frustration of my 6 years of previous bow hunts I gave a glorious fist pump only to see my brother doing the same thing! :) let me know if the link isn't working http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/ASchwager/slideshow/2014%20Bow%20Kill

Congratulations. You will always remember that first bow kill or at least I sure do.

Getting the "missing shots" monkey off your back is a tough one. I kinda have him hanging on me right now. Waiting for the right opportunity to get rid of him :) Congrats!

Top Bottom