Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fishing Resort Recommendations

williams111

My family (6 adults and 4 kids) and I are looking for recommendations on resorts for a vacation in August. Last year we went to Lake Chetek, fishing was slow and tons of people on the water. A beach/pool is necessary for the kids along with a place to dock a boat. We are wanting a smaller lake that we will not get blown off of with as low of boat traffic as possible. Good fishing would be a plus to keep the kids interested in fishing. We are willing to travel up to 8 hours either direction from East Central Iowa. We would likely need to rent a pontoon for a day or too for family rides around the lake as well. Thanks for any help!

I've become a fan of Blackduck Lake. Small enough to not get too much traffic, big enough for great fishing. Close to tons of other lakes if you wanna try others. Talked to people in the fish cleaning shack that had been to 4 different lakes that week depending on target species. They have boats for rent, a beach, kayaks and paddleboats. We stayed at Dunrovin Resort.

That's the only bummer about Iowa, your all so far from the ocean. I can get to the ocean in 5 different states, any one in 3 hrs. Maine, NH, Mass, RI and Conn. And I do all the time. Plus lake Ontario. Good luck finding a place.

What about the dams(lakes) on the Missouri River going up through SD? I think there's lots of walleye and other stuff.

I've become a fan of Blackduck Lake. Small enough to not get too much traffic, big enough for great fishing. Close to tons of other lakes if you wanna try others. Talked to people in the fish cleaning shack that had been to 4 different lakes that week depending on target species. They have boats for rent, a beach, kayaks and paddleboats. We stayed at Dunrovin Resort.

That is a good lake, nice area. Another option would be Battle Lake. ..1000 lakes in the county. Great fishing, great little lake town.

I have also fished Battle. Stayed on west Battle. Nice town. Daytime fishing was okay. Did really well at night for walleyes. More pleasure boats than I preferred but also lots of other lakes close

That is a good lake, nice area. Another option would be Battle Lake. ..1000 lakes in the county. Great fishing, great little lake town.

Hardwood, what’s your opinion of Lake Vermilion? Seems to be good for Musky lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have not fished Vermillion for years. But I think it’s good. We hit Crane Lake (same area) last fall. Had a blast. Did well on walleye and crappie.

There are VRBO on islands that are really cool. We enjoyed it
Crane L-1.jpg

Last edited:
We take an trip to mille lacs every spring for smallies. The amount of giant muskie you see in the shallows is crazy

I have thought about making a trip to Mille Lacs this year primarily to target smallies...can you share some more info on generally where to go and what to know? TIA. Can you catch the muskies in the spring or is there a season?

We normally go up the week after memorial day first weekend in June. There's normally 8-13 of us that go it's a great time. We stay at fishers resort on the northeast side of the lake it'd a great place to stay. We normally target shallow bays and rock reefs 4-10 feet of water. Don't go to the big pond without a ned rig. Two years ago we strung together a 25 lb bag in a day all the stars aligned that day. We've had them hooked but end up cutting us off if you targeted them you could have a very good day I'd imagine. Watch the wind is another thing we were in a bay last year and came out to 4-6 footers that was a long 7 miles in a bass boat....

We normally go up the week after memorial day first weekend in June. There's normally 8-13 of us that go it's a great time. We stay at fishers resort on the northeast side of the lake it'd a great place to stay. We normally target shallow bays and rock reefs 4-10 feet of water. Don't go to the big pond without a ned rig. Two years ago we strung together a 25 lb bag in a day all the stars aligned that day. We've had them hooked but end up cutting us off if you targeted them you could have a very good day I'd imagine. Watch the wind is another thing we were in a bay last year and came out to 4-6 footers that was a long 7 miles in a bass boat....

Thanks! I also appreciate the warning on the big wave potential. One time, years ago, I foolishly tried to cross West Okoboji in a big blow and I have looked back on that and shuddered many times, as I was really stupid and naive to do what I did. I believe I was very fortunate to not swamp my boat that day. I have never been close to getting caught in big waves like that again...but that's the type of thing that only has to happen once to have a really bad outcome! Yikes!

Thanks! I also appreciate the warning on the big wave potential. One time, years ago, I foolishly tried to cross West Okoboji in a big blow and I have looked back on that and shuddered many times, as I was really stupid and naive to do what I did. I believe I was very fortunate to not swamp my boat that day. I have never been close to getting caught in big waves like that again...but that's the type of thing that only has to happen once to have a really bad outcome! Yikes!
Heck the waves on West O are bigger when there's less wind due to more boats out there..... If you don't have a 20ft+ boat forget that lake from Memorial Day to Labor Day.

It was the most terrifying thing ever. I actually ended up selling my boat on that trip to some one in the group because It scared me that bad. When all you can do to keep the nose up that's a bad feeling

The fishery is just amazing here's a few pictures from last couple of years

Attachments

• 77754.jpeg
    77754.jpeg
    536.6 KB · Views: 221
  • 77762.jpeg
    77762.jpeg
    54.4 KB · Views: 204
  • 77760.jpeg
    77760.jpeg
    50.6 KB · Views: 217
  • 77751.jpeg
    77751.jpeg
    803.5 KB · Views: 210
Look at Middle Cullen Lake by Nisswa Minnesota. We used to go there with a group in June and had great fishing, Mostly Bass, Bluegill, Crappie, Rockbass and smaller Northern Pike. Wilderness Point Resort has a nice beach and an indoor pool in their club house. They rent boats but they are kind of junky. There is a bait shop in Nisswa that rents nice boats I would look into.

Another nice little town with many lakes and resorts is Longville. We hammer the walleye and crappies on small lakes around there, not as many anglers, and 100+ lakes to choose from.

Top Bottom