Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Food plot help

Hi guys. I haven’t posted here in a while but thought I could use some help from folks that are a lot smarter than me.

We have a plot that has developed amaranth & waterhemp. It is obviously gly resistant. I have yet to plant anything at this point and was hoping to do 1/2 brassicas & 1/2 cereals. Any advice for how I would go about planting with the presence of these weeds? What herbicide program would you use? I do not have a drill. I have a tractor with mower and disc and spreader. Normally I disc up two weeks prior to planting and spray the regrowth and plant the same day. Obviously with these new weeds that isn’t going to work. Any thoughts? I appreciate it.

You could probably do your same plan but use liberty instead of the roundup. Use 3 pounds ams per acre and use a lot of water. Might have trouble finding liberty as it is in short supply.

2,4d & Liberty. Liquid Fire.

Your plan may still work but make sure those asshole weeds don't go to seed. If you spray 2,4d keep in mine 7-10 days residual.

Great stuff above.
ammonium sulfate &/or crop oil is great addition to make all more potent & more effective kill. 2,4-d on that stuff is critical. Liberty good on it but I’d for sure do 2,4-d. Too many weeds like velvet leaf, cocklebur, etc that Liberty doesn’t kill. Or Gly + 2,4-d.

One side area of caution,….. brassicas following Liberty have a long interval before u can plant. On label - it’s MONTHS. Now- realistically - 2 weeks pry ok. IMO- on brassicas - I’d do 2,4-d & Gly & ams/crop oil & wait on 2,4-d labeled interval. Be in great shape. Several ways to do this for sure.

Remember, every tillage pass brings more weed seed into the germination zone. Especially if it rains shortly after you till. Waterhemp is a notorious late germinator, one reason it's so hard to control. If you do spray and get a good kill so the ground is fairly bare you might consider just broadcasting the seed and rolling with a packer. Would need rain to germinate of course.

4 oz/gal liberty 2 oz gal/ 2-4D 6# and an adjuvant
That’s on a 20gal/acre of water FYI if you’re spraying larger tracts at a time.

Wait 10-14 days after spraying and you should be golden. Some of that waterhemp will be shriveling up before you leave the plot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom