Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Foodplot tractor

Above is great info. One other idea I've seen is those old ford tractors. Most are for sale with a mower or a small rotary mower can be added. That's a cheap & simple rig there!! for not much $. I haven't done it but that's another cheap option a guy could look into. See if I can find some examples.... No idea if good deals or good/bad but here's some examples... See some ford tractors in here, etc.....
Yes, this is my suggestion. Can throw a tarp over it at your property and be done with it. Loaders are nice but not needed for what you're looking into. Will say that when I started I tried to rely on neighbor farmers and its hard to get things done timely or at all because they have real jobs. Now if you have a non farmer neighbor with equipment, you might be in business. 100% understand that you want to do your own plotting though; have it done when you want and the satisfaction. Where are you located?

Yes, this is my suggestion. Can throw a tarp over it at your property and be done with it. Loaders are nice but not needed for what you're looking into. Will say that when I started I tried to rely on neighbor farmers and its hard to get things done timely or at all because they have real jobs. Now if you have a non farmer neighbor with equipment, you might be in business. 100% understand that you want to do your own plotting though; have it done when you want and the satisfaction. Where are you located?
south central

yeah. Im probably getting the cart in front of the horse a little bit. I'll just be starting off mostly with trying to do things 'by hand' as much as possible starting out. I'm just excited to get going and dreaming a bit. Really just trying to find out if a small type tractor like that is capable of getting it done. I'm just a little leary of getting something older/used as I am pretty limited in my mechanical know how and dont want to get something that needs work or likely to have issues come up.

I have a 35hp Deere with a loader. You can get a lot done with one that size. Would I like one a little bigger? Absolutely. I need a tractor for the acreage where I live though, driveway from hell and mowing, so I use mine a lot. There are times when my drive drifts in I feel like I'm digging with a teaspoon in a sandbox. I still think if I were you I would looking into the cost of renting. I had a buddy do that from a local place here and it was pretty decently priced he thought for a tractor, trailer, and a tiller. I had an older international that was much bigger and at first it was ok but eventually starting having mechanical issues like you said. Plus the front wheel assist is the only way to go.

I have a 35hp Deere with a loader. You can get a lot done with one that size. Would I like one a little bigger? Absolutely. I need a tractor for the acreage where I live though, driveway from hell and mowing, so I use mine a lot. There are times when my drive drifts in I feel like I'm digging with a teaspoon in a sandbox. I still think if I were you I would looking into the cost of renting. I had a buddy do that from a local place here and it was pretty decently priced he thought for a tractor, trailer, and a tiller. I had an older international that was much bigger and at first it was ok but eventually starting having mechanical issues like you said. Plus the front wheel assist is the only way to go.
For sure, and I will be looking into renting something this summer. I'd love to own something myself though eventually, just seems like a lot of fun and a toy!!

I have access to a newer mid 20hp Kubota, and own a late 60's JD2020 which is a 40-50hp tractor. The Kubota is a lot easier to use being smaller, an automatic transmission, and AWD, but It feels like I'm beating the piss out if just mowing and tilling with it. I have 22 acres of hills, and a long driveway. The bigger JD is a wide front, and is only 2WD but does have a differential. Old or new things are going to break. The JD has had more issues than the newer 1, but it seems to be a lot easier to work on myself.

I love my Polaris Ranger, and I could probably do everything I want on my place except maintaining the driveway. I use that thing everyday for something.

• Deleted by IowaBowHunter1983
Show…
I have a Kubota L4060 things a beast !!! I have old tractors , 2 wheel drive how ever you can do it I tried . I had a old JD 950 I added Calcium to the rear tires . Thing would Pull made all the difference in the world with good tires on a smaller model. added some tractor weight to the front . Bigger is better and faster if it works for you . What I found is I started small and out grew it . Then the time factor . SO I Went bigger !! Still want to go bigger :) Man a NT drill is the way I am looking even if a small one .. I bought a lot of Implements . what I needed was a Mower and a NT Drill I could of saved a lot of money on Disk , Tillers and the rest of it ..

Compact Utility Tractors (35-55 HP) with a FEL and MWFD make great food plot tractors for anything under 10 acres. Not to mention all the 3 point and FEL implement options. You'll be amazed how much you use a front end loader. We have a grapple as well, very neat tool.. The weights are still reasonable you can trailer with an implement and stay under 8-9k lbs. Have an LS MTE350 (50 HP) and does quite well. Personally, I'd stay away from a subcompact tractor or (especially) an ATV.

ATVs and ATV Implements are the single worst investment and overpriced pieces of equipment in the hunting industry. Yea, I said it :p

I just bit the bullet and invested, in hopefully a good tractor, after years of playing with atv’s and an undersized compact utility.

Last week I got rid of a NH TC35 hydro and grabbed a 2018 Kubota M7060HD hydro shuttle with 200 hours. I’m hoping this is it. I’m a hobby guy so…..I’ll keep you posted.

Looked at NH T4 75 and JD 5075e as well. Kubota did it for me. We’ll see.

I just bit the bullet and invested, in hopefully a good tractor, after years of playing with atv’s and an undersized compact utility.

Last week I got rid of a NH TC35 hydro and grabbed a 2018 Kubota M7060HD hydro shuttle with 200 hours. I’m hoping this is it. I’m a hobby guy so…..I’ll keep you posted.

Looked at NH T4 75 and JD 5075e as well. Kubota did it for me. We’ll see.
Right in the wheelhouse of what size tractors I've been eyeing up myself. Give me some feedback on why you made your choice on Kubota? That's a light used machine for sure.

I’m not a tractor connoisseur that’s for sure. I ran a NH compact for a long time. After looking at countless reviews and speaking to 75hp owners it seemed to shake out like this.

The NH t4 75 folks were split, 50% ok and 50% not with most complaints electrical in nature, multiple leaks, and overall non performance.

The JD folks love their green but advised to stay away from the E series, I was looking at a 5075e, as it’s manufactured cheaply. Many complaints on the E series.

Kubota M 60 and 70 hp consistently had great reviews. The cab, I bought an open station, was simple and comfortable, with all levers etc well thought out. I also liked Kubota 4 cylinder diesel engine vs 3 cylinders on the others.

Even though the 7060 is 71 hp it delivers 64 hp to the pto which is the same as the 75 hp JD.

Kubota is slammed for being light for its class, but allegedly bulky in the right places. Idk. I’ll add fluid to the tires if need be.

The Kubota was also plumbed for a grapple and did have one set of rear remotes for a bat wing etc. The bucket is also a quick attach.

Mine was traded with light hours due having an 8/8 tranny and the owner wanted 12/12 hydro shuttle. I was told to get the 12/12 but I don’t think I’ll need it. Hope I’m not wrong.

Kubota owns Land Pride and I like and use their implements. That was also a variable.

Overall I think it’s the best machine for my situation.

Last edited:
When I bought my piece of Heaven 15 years ago, I started all my plots with gly/fire and a 25hp riding lawnmower pulling a drag.
Lol.
Worked fine just took time.

• Deleted by Ishi
Show…
Bought this little gem 4 years ago for 500.00$.
Seen it sitting in a guys yard.
He said the steering didn't work.
The gear box was about 250.00.
Been a little workhorse.
32hp diesel.

Should know better to try to posta pic on this site.
When will I learn? (Sad)

Yes, made in China. 1984 model.
Thing is built like a tank!
Only one company sells parts. FarmBoy tractors in Tennessee.
No problem getting what I've needed.

Top Bottom