Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Full bore bullets vs sabots

Anyone switch from sabots to full bore bullets? Just curious if they were more accurate? Shooting 50cal here with 100grs of triple 7.

I had very good accuracy with the sabots but switched to full bore bullets because I didn't like the bullet performance.(tried several brands and styles, 225 to 240 grain)

The full bore have been as good if not better for accuracy and the wound channel/blood trails have been outstanding if I needed to follow one. The bullet performance is night and day better than my sabot rounds. The bullets load so easy compared to the sabots as well. I haven't see a down side to them.

This is what I use.

Hornady 50cal 300gr FPB Muzzleloader Bullet

and use blackhorn 209 powder to push them.

How do these bullets get their rotation without a sabot? Any concerns about damaging the riffling of your barrel over time because of not having a sabot. I am interested in trying a full bore bullet just a couple thoughts I had when looking at them.

They are large enough they dig into the rifling a bit which is what gives them rotation in the way out. Lead bullets are not going to damage your steel rifling at all.

No sabot is great in a 45cal. In 50's, there's not a great bullet selection. And the bullets that are available have a pretty low BC. So unless you have to hunt in a no sabot state like CO, you're usually better off with sabots in a 50.

Here's a couple videos that show what you can do with full bore in a 45cal.

Top Bottom