Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Germinating small food plot

zattack10

Hey guys I have about a 1/4 acre of a 2 acre plot that didnt come in. I bought an oat chicory mix that Im going to try to get growing yet this fall. The only problem is there is one chance of rain in the next 8 days. I wanted to get it in tmrw. I have a 25 gallon tank and access to water and would want it germinated before these next rain chances since its gettin late in the game. How much water does the seed need to germinate? And can I accomplish this with a 25 gallon tank with hand sprayer and access to water? Its a little under 1/4 of an acre.

Google how many gallons of water are in an inch of rain and then I think you will see that trying to water a plot via a 25 gallon tank is pretty much a futile effort. (I only have a sense of this because I too thought I could do about what you are trying to do.)

That being said...if you have moisture in the soil you can still get germination without a fresh rain. With what you described...I would go for it if it was me. I'd say you have a fair chance to get some something growing there yet.

I did google it, and my eyes blew out of my sockets. But, just to germinate I dont need an inch of rain all around it. I understand that to water an already growing plot there would be no way, but I just need it germinated. I thought a handfull of 25 gallon spraying on it could do the trick but I could be wrong.

Put it down, wait for rain (don't waste time on putting water down unless u literally have days to kill) and more importantly- put down winter rye with it. It'll be fine.

One inch of rain on a acre is a little more than 27,000 gallons that's unreal!

I know. :D That's why I suggested to Google it. That's really an eye opener and usually kills any ideas about watering the plots with an ATV sprayer. :D

But to get 1/4" worth of rain on 1/4 acre is "only" 76 tanks worth! :D :D

If you have a tiller and set tiller to 1.5-2.0" (roughly) rye will germinate without a drop of rain unless you have really light soil.

Heavy Dews this time of year helps with Rye, but seems to get in a dry weather pattern about this time every year.? That is why I try to get everything planted in Aug,,even if that seems early. NO rain expected this week,,,and HOT Temps,,too bad. North of I-80 friends say too WET, to get in their fields.! Two and more inches last week! Not so around my area for sure, .06 is all for past 10 days...

Top Bottom