Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Good podcast sent to me- regulations, future of hunting…

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
I don’t hear a lot on regulations or the reality of what hunters are facing for opportunities or lack there of. Couple buddies sent me this “I think u would appreciate this”. I just listened to it & I think it’s very very good. I agree with the vast majority here. This for sure is taking controversial topics on!! So some won’t like some of this. But…. Very much worth a listen….

I think we are seeing more and more people taking the responsibility of herd health and deer quality into their own hands. And not relying on government entities to write the script. We’ve seen what has happened to IL. Missouri appears to be on a similar track with the new ‘23 regulations.

Yes there is always the population that will go to whatever limits they are given but a lot of land owners I know are making it an increasing priority on habitat , herd health and leaving their property better for the next generation.

I think we are seeing more and more people taking the responsibility of herd health and deer quality into their own hands. And not relying on government entities to write the script. We’ve seen what has happened to IL. Missouri appears to be on a similar track with the new ‘23 regulations.

Yes there is always the population that will go to whatever limits they are given but a lot of land owners I know are making it an increasing priority on habitat , herd health and leaving their property better for the next generation.
What's MO doing in 2023?

All good topics , great points and lots of different sides. I agree with most of this I agree it depends on where you are as a hunter and what your goals are as well how you look at the resource . Thanks for sharing.

Yeah I’d be curious? Nothing lately that I’ve seen ?

97df231e56b98d2e972e2d4eb175b1f1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get 10 CWD tags a year for my property in Mercer County, and I can give a portion or all of those to someone else if I so choose.

They're great for removing older bucks that people don't want to shoot.

If someone wants to just fill buck tags...it could get ugly no doubt with rifles and all the extra tags in CWD zones.

Are the new seasons supposed to be a positive in Missouri? If looks like more seasons, more deer killed?

I was hoping for 2 week delay in the gun season, maybe cut seasons back ?

Are the new seasons supposed to be a positive in Missouri? If looks like more seasons, more deer killed?

I was hoping for 2 week delay in the gun season, maybe cut seasons back ?

They are for the way the majority of people think here.

I don't see that the MDC has ever put age structure as a top priority for any of their decisions.

- Lengthening the already generous firearms season in the rut. Adding Nov 22-26 when a lot of older bucks daylight.
- Legalizing more and more methods. Adding more gun seasons.
- Sell as many tags as possible all under the guise of CWD.
- .243 AR pistol in alternative methods? Sure!! Everyone gets a trophy!!

Herd quality is what suffers. Perfectly following the script of IL!

Apparently MDC is now completely controlled by insurance companies and other special (non hunter friendly) interest groups.

Last edited:
They tried the 4 point restriction for a while, but we all know that’s discriminatory against the younger bucks with better genetics.

I’ve yet to see them do anything positive in the past 5 years.

See you fired me up @letemgrow :)

I think the APR was implemented and wanted by the most hunters because they don't want to change. If they did, there would already have been a better age structure to begin with.

APR's were the least invasive option and were going to yield the least impressive results. You would have a hard time finding a 2 year old that isn't legal. APR's changed the bulk of the harvest from 1 year old's to 2 year old's. When you combine the %'s of 1 and 2 year old harvested before and after APR's...that didn't change. It's over 70% of the buck harvest before and after APR's were put in place.

Last edited:
I’m going on year 4 (I think) sans APR’s since I’m in a CWD zone. They shot over 400 deer over those years in the 3x3 mile section to test for CWD after the seasons ended. My farm had the best year it’s had in a while with buck quality.

I’d consider only one an “oops”

e9ec5b05798c1935f2af594a85041f3f.jpeg

b2bfc533dcb4c7a515b7f59ad99af7eb.jpeg

5c9df09ffe6793d7ba960efbf3f40d46.jpeg

caf95ed2c376e5ecef7581429cd0b45f.jpeg

40f3e3ee6c1eaa47f21a457708f1beb8.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom