Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Grace's first turkey and a end to my 2014 season

My daughter was able to close out our family’s 2014 turkey season on Saturday evening. It was the first real opportunity to get out since the start of youth turkey season with us traveling, sports and weather.

We got set up around 5:15 due to having to wait a rain and lightning storm out. We had a couple of hens come by us but no toms were in tow. Grace was asking when a tom was going to come by and I was just told her there was no guarantees that we would see one. The whole time I my mind is running on where to try to set up the next morning (momma had already given us a green light for a morning hunt on Mother’s Day).

About 7:15, I look up and see a tom step out in a field about 100yrds away and he started coming our way but also looking like he was going to skirt us and go into the timber on the other side. He kept coming but still not committing. At the point I thought he was gone he then turned and squared off to the decoys and I knew he was ours unless we screwed it up. She was asking to shoot but I just told her to hold off and let him come and the whole time coaching her to keep the head down, beads all lined up. When he got right to decoy and I felt like she was on it, I gave her the green light and she wasted no time letting it rip and with a squeeze of a trigger the 2014 turkey season came to an end.

We were both excited and I was in disbelief it actually happened on her first time out, nothing has ever been this easy.

The tell of the tape: 20 1/2 lbs., 3/4” spurs, a 9 ½” and a 2 ¼” double beard.

Video link

The 2014 season was a big success for my family. Both my kids were able to harvest their first ever turkeys and on camera to boot. The fact they were nice toms was just icing on top.

Here is the link to my son's turkey post:

http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50427

I was also able to harvest a nice tom on Friday and also harvest a Merriam jake in Nebraska. I did screw up a couple opportunities in first season but that’s hunting. I am already looking forward to next year and planning. I am excited with the thoughts I have 13 more years of youth season (I have a 2yr old that talks about turkey hunting every day). Heck youth deer season is only 126 days away I think.

But is turkey season really over….wait Kansas is open until the end of the month

I should add that when I set the decoys up and got in the blind I thought they looked a little close. After she shot it, I stepped it off at a whopping 9 yards.

That second picture is a classic. Looks like a pro and the look says it looks like she has done it hundreds of times already. Good stuff

I love the excitement that you are passing along to your kids. Keep it up!! Congrats all the way around!

Top Bottom