Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Great hunt! 10/7 (pic heavy)

SouthernIowa

PMA Member
If the rest of the year goes as well as this hunt did it sure will be a memorable season! Ill start the hunt by explaining my set up. With the drought conditions I knew the bucks would have to be hitting the water hard this year so in the summer I made sure to have stand locations by water for the early season. This particular stand is at the very end of a small timber draw leading up to an acre pond.
9967-img_1365.jpg

There are crop fields on the other side of the pond so I figured this would be a great place for the deer to stop by before they went out to the fields to feed in the evening. Out of the back side of the damn the over flow pipe has created a little watering hole (I couldn’t believe its still holding water) and my stand location gives me a perfect 30 yard shot.
9967-pic1.jpg

Around 4:30 the first deer came through to get a drink and from then until dark I was covered in deer. Around 6:30 a bachelor group came in to drink. I had been getting trail camera pictures of this group and in it there was one young main frame 10 with some junk I really wanted to get a good look at and clean 10 that I really wanted put an arrow in.
9967-mdgc0420.jpg

9967-mdgc0429.jpg

The big clean 10
9967-mdgc0007.jpg

9967-mdgc0517.jpg

9967-mdgc0515.jpg

Main frame 10 with junk
The small bucks in the group where the first to come in and at the back was the 10 with junk. He looked just as good in person as he did in the trail camera pictures but he just seems a bit small and young. A year or two on him and he could really blow up. So I set the bow down and took some pictures hoping the big 10 would come in before last light.
9967-img_1361.jpg

9967-img_1357.jpg

9967-img_1358.jpg

The big 10 never did show so I just had to watch the 6 bucks feed their way across the hay field to the cut corn. Even though I didn’t kill anything it was still a great hunt!
9967-pic5.jpg

With the history ive been getting with this main frame 10 with junk i think its about time i get a name on him. Any suggestions would be great!

Great bucks! A very exciting evening to have a buck like that come in..Hope you get the big one

It wasnt too hard to put the bow down just because of the trail camera pics i got of him. I saw he looked young and i told myself he was getting a pass no matter what. So when i saw him i didnt even let the thought of shooting him come to mind. If that encounter with him would have been the first time seeing him then it might have been a very different story lol. So any names guys?

I'm gonna go with "Cornhusker". They look like big ten material but, if you look really close, you can see the junk.

I'm gonna go with "Cornhusker". They look like big ten material but, if you look really close, you can see the junk.

lol isn't "junk" great big 10 material? Iowa, Wisconsin, Indiana and others sure seem to have their fair share of it. :grin: idk maybe im just a little biased since im a student at Iowa State. lol

I like the name tho! It just might stick.

SouthernIowa said:
lol isn't "junk" great big 10 material? Iowa, Wisconsin, Indiana and others sure seem to have their fair share of it. :grin: idk maybe im just a little biased since im a student at Iowa State. lol

I like the name tho! It just might stick.

You're time is coming then buddy...

SouthernIowa said:
Our time is coming? The time when we play Iowa? Oh wait that already happened...and it was a good time.

congrats on your "national championship!" You beat Iowa by three.... Iowa lost to central Michigan...it's a down year, yes we are making excuses, why? Because it's embarrassing to lose to the cyclowns...

BowHnter said:
congrats on your "national championship!" You beat Iowa by three.... Iowa lost to central Michigan...it's a down year, yes we are making excuses, why? Because it's embarrassing to lose to the cyclowns...[/QUOT

Its so embarrassing? We beat #2 Oklahoma last year and #15 TCU this year and played #6 K State down to the wire and we're ranked 24th in the BCS. Having a hard time excepting we're just a better team?

BowHnter said:
congrats on your "national championship!" You beat Iowa by three.... Iowa lost to central Michigan...it's a down year, yes we are making excuses, why? Because it's embarrassing to lose to the cyclowns...[/QUOT

Its so embarrassing? We beat #2 Oklahoma last year and #15 TCU this year and played #6 K State down to the wire and we're ranked 24th in the BCS. Having a hard time excepting we're just a better team?

You didn't beat Oklahoma but actually beat Oklahoma State.

TCU is so young its scary. Talented...ABSOLUTELY. But any team in the country could beat them when they are on the road. Very young and not very disciplined up to this point.

You did play Kansas State tough but did not win. You don't get much credit when you play someone tough. Gotta win.

You won't be ranked after this weekend. OK STATE is revenge hungry.

Pretty Sweet post man.
Wish that everyone would pass more deer like that and get the reward later on when the deer has had a chance to hit his potential and age.
Nice work man.... Go get that main frame 10 what a pig

You didn't beat Oklahoma but actually beat Oklahoma State.

TCU is so young its scary. Talented...ABSOLUTELY. But any team in the country could beat them when they are on the road. Very young and not very disciplined up to this point.

You did play Kansas State tough but did not win. You don't get much credit when you play someone tough. Gotta win.

You won't be ranked after this weekend. OK STATE is revenge hungry.

Im not saying Iowa State is going to win the BCS, I just dont get why some Iowa fans are still hating on us saying we're still not on their level.

Pretty Sweet post man.
Wish that everyone would pass more deer like that and get the reward later on when the deer has had a chance to hit his potential and age.
Nice work man.... Go get that main frame 10 what a pig

Thanks man! I really am trying to get a better age structure and bigger deer on this farm. My dads farm is 600 acres and im the only one hunting it plus the surrounding area has good management so I think I can actually make a difference by passing bucks like that. I also have a few really old deer that need shot so ill be taking some friends out there late season to hopefully get rid of them and make room for better genetic young bucks to move in from the farm across the road. I also have a farm tag that id be happy to put my tag on any cool old buck regardless of score.

Top Bottom