Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hand Seeder?

newfarmer

Whats the best hand seeders out there for small seeds? I have 3 acres to do, and want to be as consistent as possible so I am going to avoid the fourwheeler I think, and looking for a hand seeder but have zero idea whats a good option out there right now? Any help would be great, Thanks

I have a solo, scotts lawn seeder and had an earthway. I will still take my scotts lawn seeder over my solo any day of the week....the solo is fine for larger seed but IMO it falls pretty short on the small seed with the way it "funnels" the seed. Spend $20 at Menards over the $50 on a solo

I have a solo, scotts lawn seeder and had an earthway. I will still take my scotts lawn seeder over my solo any day of the week....the solo is fine for larger seed but IMO it falls pretty short on the small seed with the way it "funnels" the seed. Spend $20 at Menards over the $50 on a solo
....yup. I got mine very dialed in to the point I'd call it precision precise. Sometimes involves partial blocking of opening with duct tape. Seeded hundreds of acres with it.

Screenshot_20220309-135557_Gallery.jpg

Have used a red Earthway for years, no issues here. Tiny clover to winter peas.

Whatever you get hang them from a wall, don't leave on the floor or the mice will chew up the shoulder strap from your sweat..

I have used the red bag seeder from Earthway for years and find it works well for small seeds but spread 200# of rye this weekend into standing soybeans and seems like there has to be a better option. Is the chest/backpack spreader the way to go? I see solo, earthway, Hooyman, etc all make the chest type seeders now. So, any updates on your all thoughts since the original discussion in 2022? Chest or bag and which brands?

I have used the red bag seeder from Earthway for years and find it works well for small seeds but spread 200# of rye this weekend into standing soybeans and seems like there has to be a better option. Is the chest/backpack spreader the way to go? I see solo, earthway, Hooyman, etc all make the chest type seeders now. So, any updates on your all thoughts since the original discussion in 2022? Chest or bag and which brands?
The electric Hooyman seems like it might be worth the money. Anyone on here have one?

I did end up going with a Solo and have been in love with it. I have it very dialed in on all sizes of seeds, and I like I can distribute the weight versus carry it in my hand. I also got mine on sale, which was even better yet.

I've got a solo. It's well made but I think it's kind of awkward to use with the neck strap. I would think a person could come up with a better harness system that would hold it tight to your body and a little higher.
For that reason I usually use a cheapo as well unless I'm doing a larger area. Then I use the solo to avoid refilling as often.

I’ve heard the chest harness on the Hooyman manual crank improves on the shortcomings of the Solo. Havens bought one to try myself, but it’s on the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom