Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Has iowa got BETTER or WORSE in last 10 years?

Science is hard to predict for sure! This year 29 hunters wanted their deer aged. Of the 29 one was 7.5 another was 6.5. The rest were 5.5 or younger. Three of the 27 were 3.5.
Had a 237 NT aged at 4.5 kinda hard to phantom so I had them do a do over on their aging….. after they took a second look yep 4.5.
Of the six years of sending in teeth in this was the youngest group as a whole. Every year when I get the results I get more confused on this age thing :confused:

Science is hard to predict for sure! This year 29 hunters wanted their deer aged. Of the 29 one was 7.5 another was 6.5. The rest were 5.5 or younger. Three of the 27 were 3.5.
Had a 237 NT aged at 4.5 kinda hard to phantom so I had them do a do over on their aging….. after they took a second look yep 4.5.
Of the six years of sending in teeth in this was the youngest group as a whole. Every year when I get the results I get more confused on this age thing :confused:
We sent teeth in for a deer we had hunted for 6 years, and got told it was 6 1/2...mind you, when we started hunting him he was 150 type 8 pt... (we figured he was 8 1/2 from all the history on the old farm we had)
Another one we sent the teeth in on, they also claimed 6 1/2 years. I had hunted him for 4 years and the year I missed him he was a 160ish type 10 pt.
I dont think either one of those were that big, that early- over the years we hunted them, I would say they didnt gain or lose 10 inches of antler. The only true reason we knew they were the same ones were for some unique features on them (split ear on one, white nickle size spot on ones side)

I’m just a numbers guy and the majority of the issues started in 2012 with the EHD and the drought. Couple that with continued EHD outbreaks every few years and the number of bucks making it to maturity in most areas just aren’t as high as they were prior to 2012. Now I’m sure this comment is not going to be popular but the deer herd was out of hand prior to EHD BUT it sure was fun from a hunting perspective!! We just had more deer leaving more bucks to get past someone trying to fill their tags. In my opinion prior to 2012 the opportunity hunters could have a good hunt and those of us chasing mature deer could have success more often. Just my .02….

Uggg! This is what gets me. Growing up, hunting was something that wasn't hip to 99.5% of the public. I enjoyed it for what it was. I couldn't give a crap about golf, or cars, or sports, or name any other typical man vice. I enjoy hunting. And part of it is the fact that I get away from everybody else. Now it's become hip and EVERYBODY wants a piece of it. I'm a big believer in capitalism, but damnit why can't these wealthy assholes just go back to their million other hobbies to waste $ on, and leave our hunting grounds alone. Today it's all chopped up and locked down because everybody want's to be cool like Lakowski. (I'm not jealous of the $. I am pissy about what's happened to hunting land access.)
Spot on! This is playing out big time in many parts of Iowa. Can't wait until these people find out Iowa isn't that great.

I’m just a numbers guy and the majority of the issues started in 2012 with the EHD and the drought. Couple that with continued EHD outbreaks every few years and the number of bucks making it to maturity in most areas just aren’t as high as they were prior to 2012. Now I’m sure this comment is not going to be popular but the deer herd was out of hand prior to EHD BUT it sure was fun from a hunting perspective!! We just had more deer leaving more bucks to get past someone trying to fill their tags. In my opinion prior to 2012 the opportunity hunters could have a good hunt and those of us chasing mature deer could have success more often. Just my .02….
I'm not so sure. The deer herd was down in our area from the 2002 - 2005 peak. It was well in hand in our area but like everything else, unqualified legislators try to make snap decisions based on incomplete data and lobbying $$.

Top Bottom