Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hayden's 1st Turkey!

bowman

Super Moderator
Saturday was full of soccer games and Allison's State Fine Arts (Made it to Nationals in Ohio!!!) so there was no youth opener for us, in fact I hadn't even bought the tags. So when the kids started begging Saturday night to go out Sunday morning before Church, I was a little behind. A trip to Wal-Mart for tags, then packing the stuff, and a midnight bedtime made me curse the alarm clock at 4 am.

Hayden was up first and brother and sister came along for the show. We got lucky and unknowingly set up in the dark 100 yards from the only gobler that made his existence known on the property. We watched him gobble for 30 minutes. I did some very light clucks and purs just to let him know we were there before he pitched down on the other side of the creek. He sounded off one gobble and I answered with alight yelp. We then saw him pacing back and forth trying to cross the creek. Another gobble in the creek and he was soon on our side and strutting our way. Angling to our right at 20 yards Hayden plled the trigger for the first time on big game animal and all that we heard was a click. Apparently I hadn't locked in all the way when I chambered the round for him quietly that morning. He strutted behind the blind at 3-5 yards, drumming all the way. As we lowered the back window he putted and started walking away. With the round securely chambered this time, Hayden dropped the big bird in his tracks at 25 yards at 7am. Excitement filled the blind as we all raced out of the Double Bull and to Hayden's first turkey!!!

24lbs
11 1/8" beard
1 1/8" spurs

This view (as we were setting up for photos) shows the tree he was roosted in.

1040-hayden_1a.jpg

And the very happy young hunter. Before bed tonight he told me this was the best day of his life.:D

1040-hayden_2.jpg

1040-hayden_3.jpg

We wanted a photo of the bird over his shoulder, a task that was a little challenging for the 8 year old hunter!:eek:

1040-hayden_4.jpg

1040-hayden_5.jpg

1040-hayden_6.jpg

The Tom looked almost as big as Hayden.

1040-hayden_7.jpg

And finally a photo with a very proud father. Someday I will miss all of this so much. I'm gonna take advantage of every minute that I can spend in a blind or tree with my kids. It is the most quality time that we get to spend together with all of the things that make life so busy. They are growing way too fast.

1040-hayden_8a.jpg

Hayden is a fairly quiet kid and usually won't pray out loud, wanting instead for someone else to lead and him repeat it. When the this turkey was gobbling on the roost he suggested that we pray but wanted me to do it, and we did. Once he shot the Tom, Hayden had suddenly grown up. He said a prayer out loud giving thanks for the blessing that God had just provided. And he couldn't wait to get to Church to show off his pictures. (we even made it on time!)

Congrats again Hayden! I'm very proud of you buddy!:way:

Hayden is a fairly quiet kid and usually won't pray out loud, wanting instead for someone else to lead and him repeat it. When the this turkey was gobbling on the roost he suggested that we pray but wanted me to do it, and we did. Once he shot the Tom, Hayden had suddenly grown up. He said a prayer out loud giving thanks for the blessing that God had just provided. And he couldn't wait to get to Church to show off his pictures.

Wow....that is amazing. Great story as always Wayne! :way: Congrats!

Congrats on a great tom Hayden. Looks like he really put the mash on that head!!!!

Kratz

Top Bottom