Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hens

kelcher

I don't know about the rest of you, but the hens have been kicking my butt this season. They have been pulling the toms away even more than usual this year. . . . .

I would agree. Although I ticked one off during youth season and the louder I called the louder she got and she came right to us and brought 2 friends with. She only left with one so that was nice of her.

My 9yo son and I have been out twice so far this year. This is his first year behind the gun amd I'm trying to get his tag filled. Friday we saw 4 lone toms and 1 tom with a single hen. Most of them had no interest in coming in. I started with a jake and two hen decoys, the first tom was interested, but hung up just past the property line. After he left I ditched the jake and saw 4 more. Had 1 slowly coming in, but a herd of does showed up when he was 60 yards out and ruined that opportunity. Went out again today and didn't see a single bird. We heard about 5 or 6 distant gobbles on another property, but not a thing where we can hunt. He plays soccer most weekends and we're down to about 2 more opportunities before the season ends (unless I can talk the wife into him missing a day of school). We'll keep at it and hopefully warmer weather will get them moving a little more.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

• Deleted by Central Iowa
Show…
Top Bottom