Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HF 2057, taking of nuisance animals

Fishbonker

Life Member
This bill would add coyotes, raccoons, possums, skunks and ground hogs to nuisance animals that could be taken year-round without prior permission from the DNR.

Link: <HF 2057, Sligh's Law

I had heard rumors that something like this might be proposed this year. It came up in a discussion about South Dakota putting a bounty on raccoons. The way the proposed law reads to me the nuisance animal is left where it was killed.

The anti's will have a kitten.

I guess I thought it was already ok to get rid of these when they cause problems on your property . . . . Whoops

This bill would add coyotes, raccoons, possums, skunks and ground hogs to nuisance animals that could be taken year-round without prior permission from the DNR.

Link: <HF 2057, Sligh's Law

I had heard rumors that something like this might be proposed this year. It came up in a discussion about South Dakota putting a bounty on raccoons. The way the proposed law reads to me the nuisance animal is left where it was killed.

The anti's will have a kitten.
Just add their kitten to the bill! LOL

Whoever is writing these bills needs to read the regs. Coyote is already open 24/7/365.

This reminds me of the proposed list of non-bottle neck deer calibers. Over half of the list was bottle necks.

They are trying to pass this down here in Georgia. I guess not enough people trap anymore to keep them in check. It may be part of the reason so many states turkeys have declined in recent years.

Here's all I found:

1651256829086.png

So if signed does this mean no license of any kind is required or do you still need a hunting license?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

The bill passed the House, then the Senate amended the bill and sent it back to the House. The House has yet to act on the Senate amendment. This bill is still in limbo.

Not that it matters, but I recently had a death in the family. My 5 year old computer died. It's been hell getting over the loss both mentally and monetarily. I'm too old to learn new things. I switched to an iPhone a couple years ago and thought it would be nice to have a "seamless integration" so I bought a MacBook. There is no learning cure, there is a learning mountain which I have barely begun to scale. For instance, in my old PC all I had to do was highlight the address of the bill and simple cut and paste to make a link. Now I can't seem to find the address and using a track pad instead of a mouse is nuts.

So anyway, this bill was amended by the Senate the wording of the amendment added language that if a domestic animal was threatened by a fur bearer it too was protected. The rest of the amendment is kinda superfluous and a little confusing. I'm not sure it will pass, I believe there are a lot of politicians playing brinksmanship with bills that have been passed in one chamber, amended by the other and awaiting action. These are being held hostage for leverage to get budget bills passed.

Sorry for no link and falling way behind on this stuff. Maybe I'll need to try Chrome on my Apple.

EDIT: went back to Chrome and can link. <amendment>

Last edited:
Not that this has anything to do with the topic but... are some of the letters blue, purple & green in some of these responses? Really, I'm freakin out if they aren't.

Im for this one. Maybe change things if fur prices come back & people actually trap. Until then- we have a population explosion of these nuisance animals. I got dnr to allow me to deal with excessive coons and we are already in the HUNDREDS again taking them out. SD has had some great results with the bounty on them.

Top Bottom