Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

hf 2160 baiting

Really curious to hear everyones opinion on this topic.
- Baiting - currently legal as long as you don't hunt over it - keep it that way or make totally illegal?
- Maybe make it completely illegal during hunting season but legal outside of that?
- Is baiting (grain, apples, acorn crush in pretty bag) and mineral the same thing or should there be separate rules for the usage of the two?

All I can say is if you can't feed out of season with hay bales and corn they have to ban foodplots as well. Doesn't seem like its possible to find the right answer here. Those who want to bait most likely will either way. Plenty of places allow it. Go hunt one of those places.

I read it quickly, so maybe I missed something...but I too do not see where this clears anything up regarding baiting.

• Deleted by Thinkin Rut
Show…
I agree with Thinkin Rut, but I also see where it says it must be removed 10 days before the season. There was no time limit before. So if you have mineral on your land it is baited. Looks like they took the gray area out of it.

I am trying to get the words "visibly" to the wording so that the area is only in violation if it is visibly baited - you would have to make sure all grain is eaten up or removed and mineral blocks would have to be removed and any visible mineral removed but allow traces of mineral still in the soil to be legal. I would be OK if they add a distance to that ruling, such as anything under 100 yards needs to be completely removed or covered and anything over 100yds only has to have visible traces removed.

Thoughts on this restriction?

I am trying to get the words "visibly" to the wording so that the area is only in violation if it is visibly baited - you would have to make sure all grain is eaten up or removed and mineral blocks would have to be removed and any visible mineral removed but allow traces of mineral still in the soil to be legal. I would be OK if they add a distance to that ruling, such as anything under 100 yards needs to be completely removed or covered and anything over 100yds only has to have visible traces removed.

I like that! Good thinking.

Good luck. You might be making to much sense for them.

All baiting should be outlawed on public property.

You know...I never thought about that...but a nefarious hunter could spoil a spot for someone else just by dumping a bucket of corn near their stand, etc.

You know...I never thought about that...but a nefarious hunter could spoil a spot for someone else just by dumping a bucket of corn near their stand, etc.

Old farmer did that to one of my friends that hunted his property. He walked through his field, picked up the missed ears and pilled them right under his stand. Haha. He though he was helping. Haha

The subcommittee for this bill met today. It was quite well attended. Many suggestions were made but the bottom line from today's meeting was they need more input as they realize the bill is still too gray as written. I think they were surprised so many people showed up.

The only way to take out the gray is to either make it all illegal or make it all legal. Not much difference between a food plot and a pile of corn in my eyes anyway. Most on here I'm sure have unknowingly broke the baiting law at some point in their hunting career. The way the law is now they could write you a ticket for a small corn pile left by the grain cart or combine and you can find one of those in every harvested crop field in Iowa.

• Deleted by Thinkin Rut
Show…
  • Deleted by Thinkin Rut
Show…
The fight really is whether mineral/bait stations tend to spread disease any worse than a Whitetails natural way. If it does, we should gladly remove the mineral. I'm not totally sold on it and really don't like the angle that they are coming at it. If it were about hunting over it, they would put a 100 yard restriction for bow hunting and 300 yards for gun hunting and call it good.

I am not looking for a Chevy v. Ford, Republican v. Democrat or Cardinals v. Cubs argument here. :D But, what is the science on whether mineral stations contribute to the spread of disease?

I admit, I am skeptical that there is a proven connection or that mineral stations are any worse than what the deer would normally encounter in their habitat, etc, but...I am not interested in opinions, I would like to know factually what it is known about this.

I have no sense that mineral stations lead to disease, but I also do not know that from a scientific perspective. Before we go making more laws and rules, especially those that are "gray area" at best, I think we need to establish that there really is a problem here and not just a perception.

Unscientific, anecdotal observations of mine that make me skeptical...

1. We have had mineral stations on our farm for over 10 years, but have never seen any sign of disease.

2. There have been salt licks out in pastures, not to mention natural salt licks, for decades for cows primarily, but deer have used them too, so it isn't as if mineral stations are a brand new thing.

3. Deer lick each other, touch noses, eat from the same branch/field/etc naturally, are we sure that deer focused mineral stations significantly increase the exposure factor?

If I knew, from scientific study and not opinions, that mineral stations were overall a detriment to the herd, I would fill them in tomorrow.

• Deleted by Thinkin Rut
Show…
  • Deleted by Thinkin Rut
Show…
...they should tell the deer they are not allowed to make scrapes either. Spread apart as much as possible. Don't contact each other. Self preservation. ;)

Perhaps the black and white solution is to allow minerals year round (no hunting restrictions) and no baiting whatsoever. Not an easy answer, but it needs to be crystal clear.

Mineral sites do attract/bait deer. We don't also need dates on when what type of baits can be used and further confusion on where they can be used. I'm sure there are or would be 'minerals' that attract very effectively year round. Just don't put minerals where u would put bait. Keep it simple. If you feel your mineral/bait site could be questioned with respect to a stand location then just don't put it there.

• Deleted by Thinkin Rut
Show…
I must be reading this the wrong way. Because the way I'm reading it ,if you have mineral on your property even in the ground during the hunting season your looking at a ticket even if your not hunting around it.

Top Bottom