Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HF 60 NR tag allocation for outfitters

Spoke too soon, subcommittee assigned.

Representative Charlie McClintock, House District 95, parts of Linn and Buchanan counties. Legislative web page: State Representative (iowa.gov) Email: [email protected]

Representative Terry C. Baxter, House District 8, Hancock and Wright counties and part of Kossuth county. Legislative web page: State Representative (iowa.gov) Email:[email protected]

Representative Wes Breckenridge, House District 29, parts of Jasper County. Legislative web page: State Representative (iowa.gov) Email: [email protected]

I will post date and time of meeting when it is published.

This bill has not had a subcommittee meeting that I know of but it is on the full committee agenda for Monday, 02/15/21.

Link to comments: Comment here

Be sure to list the bills you are commenting on.

Was not discussed or voted on during the committee meeting. I think it still needs to go through a subcommittee.

I post comment and hope others do as well. As a non resident this bill will hurt iowa. Please others share their feelings on the link above.

I’m assuming we are against this I’ll leave a comment if someone gives me some good reasons

Scratch that I read higher up the thread I can give some good thoughts.

Outditter has to have been established prior to 2020, will that date ever move? At least a NR can't become an outfitter over night and guide themselves every year, it seems.

Passed sub today 2-0. The sub is recommending it be amended but I haven't heard, and may not hear until the full committee meeting, what they recommend for an amendment.

That sucks too.

I'm not seeing a lot of push back or talk about these issues this time around. I'm guessing people are worn out from the past few months. That's understandable but this stuff is sliding through because of it.

That sucks too.

I'm not seeing a lot of push back or talk about these issues this time around. I'm guessing people are worn out from the past few months. That's understandable but this stuff is sliding through because of it.

I also think the legislators are getting tired of seeing these bills year after year and instead of killing them they are passing them so they will go away.

What is stopping any existing business from switching their services provided and taking reservations as an outfitter. The company I work for is registered as a business. What if I use it to start "guiding" (guaranteeing a tag and sending on their merry way". If the outfitters think this is going to benefit them I see this backfiring on them.

I also think the legislators are getting tired of seeing these bills year after year and instead of killing them they are passing them so they will go away.
I don't disagree. I'll go further and say they, for the most part, don't give a chit about hearing from anyone but their own constituents anymore. I'm watching hunter related issues in other states as well, mostly Montana this year, Legislators there have labeled the considerable attention and resistance they're getting "Georgia Tactics".

I'm pretty confident in predicting Iowa will be following the models of a lot of Western states. Outfitter tags, transferable land owner tags and NRLO tags.

What is stopping any existing business from switching their services provided and taking reservations as an outfitter. The company I work for is registered as a business. What if I use it to start "guiding" (guaranteeing a tag and sending on their merry way". If the outfitters think this is going to benefit them I see this backfiring on them.
I don't know and I pointed that out specifically to everyone on the subcommittee. Specifically that a NRLO would probably be able to "outfit" themselves.

I don't disagree. I'll go further and say they, for the most part, don't give a chit about hearing from anyone but their own constituents anymore. I'm watching hunter related issues in other states as well, mostly Montana this year, Legislators there have labeled the considerable attention and resistance they're getting "Georgia Tactics".

I'm pretty confident in predicting Iowa will be following the models of a lot of Western states. Outfitter tags, transferable land owner tags and NRLO tags.
If NRLO tags become a thing, id expect land to jump 30-40%. That is not a good thing for iowans unless your goal is to sell out and move to Florida to retire.

As a NR I don't know what to think. I don't like this bill, but would like to see some tags added. I would even settle for NRLO to be eligible to buy additional doe tags. I know you guys don't want any change, but something will happen eventually.

Regarding real estate it is a zoo, in multiple states. Iowa, MN, Wisconsin, Illinois, Missouri, SD. Ranches in SD are "hot" as ever. There are people selling stocks/other investments and buying farms, or simply selling and buying bigger.

Top Bottom