Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HF 60 NR tag allocation for outfitters

I've been trading respectful emails back and forth with Terry Baxter on this and other outdoor issues. I believe he he has good intentions but he is not with us on this one. In fact, I don't think anyone with an R by their name has responded in agreement with me.

Curious, what points did Baxter hit on for being in favor?

I’ve only gotten three no responses from districts 29, 66 & 85 (all blue).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Response from Representative Baxter on HF60
EDB926FA-6301-4770-92E7-4E51E0A881E0.png

• Deleted by hillrunner
Show…
Response from Representative Baxter on HF60View attachment 120649
I received the exact response, a couple of times during our conversation. Some of his responses to me had almost nothing to do with anything I said. Obviously a lot of copy and paste going on here.
He must've been talking to someone else about nr tag allocation because he or whoever is handling these emails for him accidently sent me a response in defense of more nr tags which was not part of any discussion I was having. It did however completely contradict what he said in the above email about nr tags.

I received the exact response, a couple of times during our conversation. Some of his responses to me had almost nothing to do with anything I said. Obviously a lot of copy and paste going on here.
He must've been talking to someone else about nr tag allocation because he or whoever is handling these emails for him accidently sent me a response in defense of more nr tags which was not part of any discussion I was having. It did however completely contradict what he said in the above email about nr tags.

I also received the exact response, word for word, from Baxter.

Also received a response from Tom Jeneary, 5th District and Natural Resource Committee Vice Chair, in favor of the bill via another copy paste email that didn’t address any of what I had included in my initial email to the house members.

Hit as many as possible with emails. I sent over 30 today. They don't know or even care if your in there district. But if each one receives 100 emails...it may make a difference. Do nothing and receive what is forced upon us.
Use the bcc button on your email and can send them all an email at one time without them knowing who else received it.

Poster child for Iowa outfitters?

Sure, probably some upstanding businesses out there, but always gonna be people working it. Need severe repercussions.

Last edited:
Response from Representative Baxter on HF60View attachment 120649
First, a Guided Canadian Black Bear hunt is not an apples to apples comparison to an Iowa whitetail hunt.

Second, This "outfitter" must not be much of a businessman if he doesn't have a pool of clients cycling through the draw process to get their tag. Outfitters deal with this all the time in other states.

First, a Guided Canadian Black Bear hunt is not an apples to apples comparison to an Iowa whitetail hunt.

Second, This "outfitter" must not be much of a businessman if he doesn't have a pool of clients cycling through the draw process to get their tag. Outfitters deal with this all the time in other states.

Both great points

Poster child for Iowa outfitters?

Sure, probably some upstanding businesses out there, but always gonna be people working it. Need severe repercussions.

My rep, Stan Gustafon emailed me back. He said that "HF60 has been voted out of the Natural Resources Committee and has been renumbered as HF806. Here is a link to the Bill so you can follow it through the Legislative process. https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ba=HF%20806&ga=89 "

Gustafson did not indicate which way he leans on this subject, so I included the field&stream link on my follow up email.

This was from Terry last night after my response to his canned email reply to my original email.

"Andrew,

Thanks for your email. You make some good points. We have wrestled with these issues for the past two sessions. There are no easy answers. We have also heard from many long term Iowa residents who have lived and farmed in Iowa for years and now spend the winter in the south. They have lost their residency and can no longer hunt on their own property except through the lottery. I share that to say there are difficult issues.

I like your point about managing the deer herd. It is a real issue and guide services have one objective. It is to harvest a huge buck and not herd management.

At this point the future of the bill is uncertain. It may stall out and not come to the floor for debate. Our job is to wrestle with the issues and listen to the people. At this point the opposition is strong. Thanks again for your input.

Sincerely,

Terry Baxter

State Representative
Iowa House District 8"

This was from Terry last night after my response to his canned email reply to my original email.

"Andrew,

Thanks for your email. You make some good points. We have wrestled with these issues for the past two sessions. There are no easy answers. We have also heard from many long term Iowa residents who have lived and farmed in Iowa for years and now spend the winter in the south. They have lost their residency and can no longer hunt on their own property except through the lottery. I share that to say there are difficult issues.

I like your point about managing the deer herd. It is a real issue and guide services have one objective. It is to harvest a huge buck and not herd management.

At this point the future of the bill is uncertain. It may stall out and not come to the floor for debate. Our job is to wrestle with the issues and listen to the people. At this point the opposition is strong. Thanks again for your input.

Sincerely,

Terry Baxter

State Representative
Iowa House District 8"
No clue how it works and I'm assuming they register their residency in Florida or Arizona due to tax reasons,, but wouldn't those wintering in the south have the option to keep Iowa as their resident state and they wouldn't have that issue?
Some of these answers, along with him sending the wrong email in favor of NR tags makes me think this has to do with whoever that owner of the big company was who was pitching the NR tags the last few years.

No clue how it works and I'm assuming they register their residency in Florida or Arizona due to tax reasons,, but wouldn't those wintering in the south have the option to keep Iowa as their resident state and they wouldn't have that issue?
Some of these answers, along with him sending the wrong email in favor of NR tags makes me think this has to do with whoever that owner of the big company was who was pitching the NR tags the last few years.
I thought the same thing. If they are just snow birds and going to the south in the winter than they would be in Iowa the majority of the year. I know some states in the south have no income tax, like FL. If that is the case I don't blame anyone who owns a second house for listing that as their primary residence.

I thought the same thing. If they are just snow birds and going to the south in the winter than they would be in Iowa the majority of the year. I know some states in the south have no income tax, like FL. If that is the case I don't blame anyone who owns a second house for listing that as their primary residence.
I dont either, but then I don't care how much they complain about losing out on having it both ways and not being able to reap benefits from the other state also.

The state income tax of (0) in Florida probably outweighs the 3 buck tags for most people, but not all? If you make more than $100,000 what is the top Iowa state tax (8.53%)? That is a lot of cash.

Agree completely. Id save the cash as well. Id also hunt deer in a state where I could get a tag every year, not complain that the system isn't fair because of a decision I made.
Legislators think different than you or I do. They might look at this and say "the guy owns land in Iowa and lives here half the year, why can he not hunt his own farm"

The NR bow Hunter in Iowa has seen the # of years he/she has to wait grow from 2 to 4 or 5 years over the last 20 years. The preference points now cost $50 a year. There was a bow only doe season that went away years ago. Now they are thinking of taking 500 NR licenses out of the pool for the Guides why not auction 500 off and then the guys that want to hunt really bad with a guide can buy one and any NRs could pay $$$$ for one too. The revenue to the DNR would be much, much higher and the guides would be able to keep a flow of hunters.. I’m probably going to sell my property if this passes. Unfortunately, it may be a Guide that purchases it and who knows what kind of pressure they will put on that deer herd. I have taken a buck every 4 years off it and now it could be 5, 10, any number. I think the Iowa deer hunters have much more to lose from their Guides than the NRLO and NRs hunters If this passes.

Top Bottom