Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HF2560 DNR Appropriations bill, may affect CO's, Park Rangers

Fishbonker

Life Member
This bill was passed yesterday. There is a section of the bill that calls for a working group to study, well, cutting through the legalese, somebody somewhere wants to transfer state park rangers to the enforcement section of the DNR and all the park rangers would all become COs. I'm not sure where in the budget or structure of the DNR that the rangers fall. Park Rangers are certified peace officers (I may not have the nomenclature correct, but I believe they have all the rights and responsibilities of a CO and any other LEO) and I believe they are responsible for more than law enforcement at the park they serve. Another section of the same bill would allow the rangers to stay in the park residences until 2024.

I'm posting this to call it to everyone's attention, I'm not sure of the issues, the ramifications or the thoughts of the rangers or COs.

The working group will consist of the Director of the DNR (or her designee) the Commissioner of Public Safety (or their designee), two conservation officers, two park rangers, 2 representatives and 2 senators. They are to have their report and recommendations completed by 12/15/22.

Link to the bill: <HF2560>

The bill is in red to denote it has been passed and has been amended from its original draft. The section I'm posting about starts on the bottom of page 24.

If you are interested, this is the yearly bill that spells out how much funding REAP and other programs receive from the budget.

Top Bottom