Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hindsight

JNRBRONC

I pulled SD cards today on some cameras that were put out in late October. Bittersweet looking at them, the “should have been there that day feeling” and the “survived shotgun, hope he clears late ML” quandary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2E3905B3-431B-4D1F-B14D-CF4B17B3264E.jpeg
Should have been there, I know the feeling..

I'm with ya, I was one step behind them this year. I stayed out of an area because there were no shooters in there last year and I had nothing big on cam through mid October. Pulled a card from that spot on November 10th and there were three definite shooters in that spot Halloween through November 5th. I adjusted and had encounters with them, but I missed out on some of the better hunting for that spot. Live and learn.

Historically, November 8 & 9 have been good for daytime movement and this year was no different, but I hunted another property

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Running cameras gave me more personal dissapointment than anything, (because of exactly this), that's why I quit using them after 1 season. More power to those who run them. I can see how they can be a tactical instrument on patterning deer, but for me, that came at the price of ruining much of my enjoyment.

That's better than the I was there there then decided to leave pictures. I'm still smarting from a move I made on 11/7/2015, LOL.
I walked past one camera on the way in to hang and hunt, pulled the SD card on the way out that evening and saw that a decent buck had walked by the camera an hour before I went in. I hung a stand (with another camera on a nearby tree) next to a doe bedding area close by, figured I'd catch him scent checking it. I got itchy feet and moved the stand over to the next ridge because I saw movement over there. Checked the camera and saw me headed over there, then the buck I was after was under tree I had been in 3 hours later. Doh!!

About 10 years back I had a property 4 hours away. I didn’t check cameras until November. Had a really nice buck that went by my stand no less than 15 times during the day , many days in Sept/October.

If it’d had a cell camera back then …
A6BEFF38-4E1E-4DA6-9757-A7EB9249B276.jpeg

About 10 years back I had a property 4 hours away. I didn’t check cameras until November. Had a really nice buck that went by my stand no less than 15 times during the day , many days in Sept/October.

If it’d had a cell camera back then …View attachment 121822
And thus I have concerns with cell cams.

Awesome deer in that pic.

I accept that I can't be everywhere all the time and I don't get too torqued about missing an opportunity.

Overall I'm happy to see big deer on cam and hope they make it to next year.

One thing that bothers me is not being able to share pics here for fear of people trying to move in.

No, not paranoid, seen it happen.

Last edited:
Well for me this year, in hindsight, I'm glad I didn't see a couple pics until after I got my deer. Would have changed my strategy and put me in the wrong place that day.

One thing that bothers me is not being able to share pics here for fear of people trying to move in.

No, not paranoid, seen it happen.
Seen it happen also, being from out of state I only post on this site. I doubt anyone will drive 1000 miles to shoot a dink :D

I saw a really good mature buck while archery hunting public many moons ago and told two buddies about it. At that time I was the only one hunting there, next time I went there was 4 cars parked there! Needless to say my sweet spot turned sour.

I feel ya on that one OP. I pull all my cards this time of year and make a calendar of days with the most daylight shooters. This was my first year in Iowa so I kind of wanted to pinpoint when the best time to go was/is. Seemed like this year from November 5th through the 12th would've had multiple chances. If you remember, it was HOT and windy most of those days, but my camera proved to just go hunt anyways. Can't beat those dates.... Also most of the daylight movement (at least what made it past my camera) was anywhere from the morning hours to mid afternoon. Not a whole lot for evening. As for my season, I closed on a house the week of the dates mentioned above so I didn't get out much until the following week.

Top Bottom