Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HJR 8 The right to hunt, fish trap and harvest wildlife

Fishbonker

Life Member
Link to the bill: HJR 8

This would add an amendment to the Constitution of Iowa that guarantees the right of Iowans to hunt, fish, trap and harvest wildlife. The resolution looks very well written to me but I know this was tried a few years ago and it went nowhere.

As a reminder, any proposed amendment to the State's Constitution has to pass both chambers two sessions in a row and then needs to pass during a general election.

Perhaps I’m skeptical of political/financial motives and admittedly I don’t have background on the history of those who introduced the language...

Is there ever a scenario where “the people of the state” could be interpreted or modified to include nonresident landowners which would then open the door for nonresident landowners to get a guaranteed tag annually?

Although the language seems harmless, I didn’t know if there could be something else behind it and wanted to ask the group for their thoughts...

Perhaps I’m skeptical of political/financial motives and admittedly I don’t have background on the history of those who introduced the language...

Is there ever a scenario where “the people of the state” could be interpreted or modified to include nonresident landowners which would then open the door for nonresident landowners to get a guaranteed tag annually?

Although the language seems harmless, I didn’t know if there could be something else behind it and wanted to ask the group for their thoughts...
While there is a bunch of legislation that they try to sneak through, I believe this legislation is all about ensuring our right to hunt, fish and trap when national legislation tries to make it illegal to shoot Bambi or they try to outlaw trapping of those cute little trash pandas.

A skepticism that is well deserved.

There are a few states that have similar amendments to their constitutions and I don't believe they have had this issue.

I just can't see a path to a non resident being included in the people of the state and if it were ever tried it would have to go through the whole process again and I doubt it would ever be proposed, BUT I have been wrong before. Amendments to constitutions are made to be difficult for a reason.

Top Bottom