Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hornady SST 300 gr & Federal BOR Lock

Handcannon

I got around to sighting in my new CVA Accura V2 the past few weekends. Love the gun & love the Nikon Inline XR that I put on it.

I started out shooting the Hornady SST 300 grain w/ two 50 grain pellets of T7 & a Win 209 primer. It shot VERY well.

Got 3 touching @ 50 yards.
3869-0903161349a.1.jpg

And it did very well @ 100 yards.
3869-0810160722.1.jpg

But then I saw the Federal BOR Lock 270 grain ammo. How cool is that?! The sabot is already on the bullet & it's supposed to have great expansion. I bought some & took them to the range & was 100% disappointed. I tried every combo for 3 hours today & could not get these to group any better than 8". I wanted them to work so bad. What a waste of $25.

I went back to shooting the Hornadys & got my confidence back. I hear that these don't expand well. Any one have issues w/ the SST? Should I be shooting the shoulders this winter?

I shot one deer with SST's and won't ever do it again. It killed him, but the exit hole was the exact same size as the entrance hole. My suggestion would be get a package of 290 gr. Barnes TMZ or TEZ and give those a go. And also look into switching to blackhorn 209 powder. You won't regret it. Good shooting though!

I agree I would never use the sst's again I am going with bloodline bullets made by Knight there's no way them things aren't going to leave some massive damage.

The Bor Locks can be very accurate if you have a tight barrel, they will open up like a Barnes Bullet out to 125 yards, then after that they will not, unless you are pushing them with 130 gr of BH 209 out to 200 yards. The SST's are good for paper punching, They mushroom when they are used on deer, The Barnes line of bullets are the go too bullet of a lot of people, Hornady has the Mono Flex, when it opens up it has 9 pedals, the Barnes has 6 pedals.

No expansion is the same issue I had years ago when shooting the Hornady XTP, same size hole in & out. Almost like the lead inside is far too hard for expansion.

I will pick up some Barnes & give them a try.

How's the accuracy under 100 yards w/ the Barnes Expander?

SST's are super accurate but no expansion. I shoot the Barnes Spitfire TMZ's with Harvestor sabots out too 300yds with 78 weighed grains of Blackhorn powder. My encore loves this set up.

I agree. I have even had powerbelts knock a deer down. There wasnt one time where I didnt have to track a deer with shooting ssts. Going to try the barnes this year

Knight red hots seem to shoot good out of every gun Ive tried them in... most people I know that use them use the 300g bullets. Its basically a Barnes expander bullet, not sure exactly what sabot they come with but the combo seems to work great. Weve used them in several knight and CVA rifles

I agree. I have even had powerbelts knock a deer down. There wasnt one time where I didnt have to track a deer with shooting ssts. Going to try the barnes this year

Always shot powerbelts out of my accura v2. They shoot great, not so impressed on the effect on deer. Shot a doe at 60 yds. Knocked her down, got up and ran off. Not a drop of blood. Just bought some Barnes today and will be shooting them this year.

Always shot powerbelts out of my accura v2. They shoot great, not so impressed on the effect on deer. Shot a doe at 60 yds. Knocked her down, got up and ran off. Not a drop of blood. Just bought some Barnes today and will be shooting them this year.
I always had really good luck with the powerbelts out of my "Chinese build a gun" muzzle loader kit but when I bought a traditions I had to switch been using the ssts but just tired of the poor performance.

I agree I would never use the sst's again I am going with bloodline bullets made by Knight there's no way them things aren't going to leave some massive damage.

Both of my kids youth deer last year were killed with bloodlines. I took a chance because I liked the idea of the break away petals but there weren't many reviews out there. Both used, I believe, 50 gr bh209. Both big does were shot well and did massive damage. Daughters blood trail was like paint dumped from a bucket, sons was very difficult to follow. There was an exit hole but her lungs filled up. Didn't go far so no big deal. Pretty impressed overall and if I didn't love my tez's so much I'd be awfully tempted to see what they do behind 90 gr bh209.

I'll give the Monoflex a try if I can find some on the shelf. It's same sabot as the SST. I know I can get about 12 shots before plastic fouling gets too bad.

It seems that the filled bullet tip & a massive cavity below it are key to getting great accuracy & a bullet that will expand.

That's funny. I have shot the SST's for years now. And they have killed every deer they were shot at. I even use them on my kids youth gun with excellent results. You don't need a huge exit hole to kill deer!

i agree on Barnes- what I am using this year. My SST's killed deer yes- but zero blood trail which isnt always fun. Barnes expand so well and leave a path of blood to follow

I have some Barnes MZ and a whole package of TMZ if anyone is interested. I'll sell them all for the full price of 1 pack

SST's are super accurate but no expansion. I shoot the Barnes Spitfire TMZ's with Harvestor sabots out too 300yds with 78 weighed grains of Blackhorn powder. My encore loves this set up.

I shoot the same set up! Last year was my first year for Barnes and they are devastating..great accuracy as well

Top Bottom