Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hounds Iowa Regs

Grassman07

What are the current regs in Iowa for coon/coyote hounds running through peoples farms screwing hunts up?

I cant believe they can just roam where they want?

I don't think there's anything in the hunting regs about it. Check with your county sheriff. Each county is different, but most have the ability to write citations and fines to the owners of wandering dogs. Most don't when it comes to this type of stuff though.

Loose hounds "hunting" is definitely a sore spot with ongoing conflict for many, and for good reason. Sorry to hear that you are in that situation...oftentimes there are no easy answers. I am sure you could search old threads here and get plenty of reading material. :)

Once you've pursued all of the civil channels to rectify the situation...

Always keep a whole dead chicken or two in your deep freeze. If the nuisance dogs ever come within range, roll em. If anyone ever comes knocking on your door about it, show em the dead chickens and claim the dogs were chasing and killing your livestock. It's the ONLY way repetitive disrespectful dog owners will learn to keep their property on their property.

Sorry to hear, you’re definitely not alone. When more than one dog is involved, they will actively hunt deer.

Also check your county ordinances. Ours has one specifically for dogs roaming. With it being written in our county deputies are more willing to write tickets and give fines

It's frustrating, 3rd year in a row I have fought this problem. I send pictures to owner and they act like its no big deal. Last year he actively came running into a rattle sequence and later watched him chase deer behind my house onto different neighbor.

During rifle season they made FB post about their missing dog. Guessing another landowner hit their limit.

1672256832457.jpg

It sounds like you are fighting a bad neighbor not a real houndsman. I have both, the houndsman locked his dog up after one warning, the bad neighbor quit adopting dogs after a couple years of them disappearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Deleted by EthanA
Show…
The only form of hunting, that allows permission on private property against the land owners consent. Imagine if shotgun hunters were allowed to legally push deer through properties without permission. The issue is 90% of these clowns are taking advantage of that loop hole every year. Dogs don't know property lines, but that's no excuse to run people's property with consistently. That's why I'm all for 3 strikes and your entire group is charged with trespassing.
Just so we are clear, you're saying 90% of houndsmen conspire to run dogs into non-permission land?

• Deleted by EthanA
Show…
Top Bottom