Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How do you hunt Mule Deer ?

Rackaddict

Life Member
I need some expert advice. I applied for a Mule Deer tag in Colorado. Last year we saw more Mulies than Elk and I had a couple of pref. points so I thought throw my hat in the ring... O.K., so now if I get drawn my problem is....I don't have a clue as to how to hunt them. Do you hunt in a tree stand over a water hole or trail? Do they respond to calls? (I've never seen a Mule deer Grunt tube!) When do they travel? Hey, any advice would help. Thanks, "Rackaddict"

RA,

I am no expert and but the little bit I have hunted them I will share.

I've hunted them in the panhandle of Nebraska in combination with antelope. The area I hunt is unusual because it is a place that goes from steep ravines in a pine forest to one of the largest open prairies you will ever see.

In the trees and ravines, we hunted always - very careful of the wind, looking for bedded up bucks,usually mid-day. This was after locating them early morning and late evenings feeding.

In the prairie we basically hunted the same way with hopes we would run into a pronghorn along the way. We spent alot of time glassing and stalking as slow as we could go and then setting up sometimes for hours.

I've hunted elk in Colorado but not mulies so can't really go off on much experience there. We saw alot of nice bucks when we were in Crested Butte but most of them were low in prairie type conditions.

I know one thing, there bad habit of bouncing 2 or 3 times and looking back makes them a whole lot different than a whitetail. Although I have heard a very mature mulie is difficult to hunt especially in the mountains.

Just my 2 cents,

TLH

PS, hopefully this will get some more input from more experience mulie hunters.

I have hunted them in Utah. The best way to hunt is to get up high and glass. Of course, you can cover some ground, if ATV's are allowed. Very difficult to walk into an area and hunt by foot. You need to be in good shape. A big muley is harder to kill than a big whitetail.

Rackaddict,

I am not an "expert" muley hunter either but I do hunt Montana every fall. Much like whitetails, early morning & late afternoon are best. Muleys seem to be spookier than WT's so driving them is not advised. We do lots of glassing and patterning and waiting. When the rut kicks in (Nov.), the big fellas come calling. Like Mike Eastman always says, the rut is the achilles heel of the trophy mule deer.

Good Luck!

I started bowhunting for mulies about 28 years ago. I have the same standards as for whitetail bucks, if I'm not going to put him on the wall I let him walk. Therefore I don't shoot many but sure love it. My favorite way is to spot and stalk. If you can find it I recommend reading a book called Bowhunting for Mule Deer by Dwight Schuh. It was published in 1985. It does a great job of explaining the technique. By the way, it took me close to 25 years to put a big, old, high country mulie on the wall. It is one of my hardest earned trophies, and one of my most appreciated.

Good Hunting! Old Buck

Theirs only one way to hunt mulies. Spot and stalk. I would suggust buying a high quality spotting scope. I would do some shopping around and try it out for eye fit and comfort. Its not uncommon to spend 2-3 hours looking throungh one.

Top Bottom