Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How many dead deer??

blakesburg

PMA Member
Buddy and I went shedn' Saterday. We covered a couple hundred acres or so of good ground and found close to 20 dead deer. Only two antlered bucks and a few spikes. Just wondered if everyone else found a crazy amount of dead deer this year?:(:mad:

Last edited:
Yup, figured it was EHD as everything I have been finding has been around water... its a shame... All does for me mostly

I saw a pic over the weekend of the Drury brothers and they found 36 over the weekend on one of their farms.

My son and I found around 9-10 dead remains on our farm in Warren

Two bucks, one decent one

Last edited:
I found 4 dead and saw a couple of sick ones in a small area in Warren county. Not a pretty sight. The only good news is the deer that survived now have antibodies to it so hopefully it wont happen again next year.

I am up to 25 deer dead personally in Monroe Co. and wiped 1 of our farms completely out of bucks.....8 of the 10 bucks that were regulars on camera on a farm were found dead on a 75 acre farm. Also know the public land near this farm registered 45+ dead deer and surrounding farms are all 10+.

Crazy how spotty it is though, another farm I hunt in the County didnt seem to lose any deer and had 50+ feeding in alfalfa nightly.

New bucks will fill the holes vacated by those who have died. The two biggest bucks on our farm were both killed this year (neither by me), so as depressing as it was I am still excited to see what will show up this year.

You just never know during the rut what deer will walk by your stand. It goes in cycles as well, seems like you may go a year without a solid deer and then all of sudden you have lots of bucks to choose from. Last year, I saw lots of 2-3 year olds that need another year or two, hopefully a couple of those make good jumps and maybe a couple mature bucks move in as well. I am going to set cameras up in different spots this year and hunt several different spots on the farm as well just to hunt areas that I may have overlooked.

Happy to say that we have walked virtually everywhere on our place in the last month or so and have found 0 dead deer that we suspect to be from EHD. Most close neighbors report the same type of findings.

However, just a couple of miles away it was a different story for others that I know, some found a few, others found many. This really seems to be very localized.

I found dozens dead in NE and SD, during bow season. About 2/3 were does. Some nice bucks were dead. I'd say 50 to 70% of the deer were gone in some areas...

One small property I hunt has bones scattered all over the place, it must have been one of the EHD hotspots. I found three dead bucks among the carnage.

Spysar said:
I found dozens dead in NE and SD, during bow season. About 2/3 were does. Some nice bucks were dead. I'd say 50 to 70% of the deer were gone in some areas...

I'm in Yankton, and it was very tough on our area. It's amazing how barren some of the old trails and bedding areas are! I think 50 to 70% is pretty accurate, if not a little conservative.

I'm in Yankton, and it was very tough on our area. It's amazing how barren some of the old trails and bedding areas are! I think 50 to 70% is pretty accurate, if not a little conservative.

Sad, will be interesting to see what NE and SD do for tags.

Top Bottom