Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How old is this buck?

loneranger

He has a very gray muzzle and base circumference is 7". How old do you think he is?

picture.php

Great Buck, Loneranger! Pretty cape and should make a great mount! He definitely appears to be mature.

72 is my guess. I couldn't help it! I bet he's 4 or better. Really nice buck congrats!

Ed, it is hard to age the deer from your farm seeing as how they are so starved for moisture down there, they always look older than they really are since they have sand in their veins! :D :D

But seriously, that is a great buck and you should be very proud of him. Congratulations!

Ed, it is hard to age the deer from your farm seeing as how they are so starved for moisture down there, they always look older than they really are since they have sand in their veins! :D :D But seriously, that is a great buck and you should be very proud of him. Congratulations!

^reply of the year right there... Lmao

Finally got back to a smart phone. I have had some aged before. A 5 yr old and a couple 4s and this ones teeth are way more worn. His thin muzzle and gray leads me to believe he is more than 5 His rack no trophy but I am always more interested in how many yes they outsmarted hunters.

Years that is. Very funny about the sand! It has been dry this Nov though only quarter inch for the month so far. No matter now the top soil is froze!

I don't like being a jerk, but I got to call it like I see it. 7" bases?! Those don't look a hair over 5. Good mature buck tho. Congrats!

I too doubted it when I saw 7 inches. I agree they look more in the 5 inch range. Can u take a pic of how you are measuring so we can see what you are doing wrong? The mass measurement is the smallest circumference between the burr and the brow tine. Are you measuring the circumference of the burr itself? Then I can maybe see how you are getting 7. Remember a pop can is only 8 inches and those bases are far from that.

Last edited:
Yes I was going around the burr. At any rate I have done a European mount of him and you can really see the difference in the skull size compared to a European mount of a 4 yr old I have that was aged by tooth by the DNR. This buck has an obviously shrunken skull and I suspect his rack is in decline too. What causes the dark chocolate color? His antlers are dark all the way to the ends of the tines.

Top Bottom