Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How Old?

If he's as young as his neck and face looks, he's going to be awesome in a couple years! His neck and body don't match though, fatty. I'll guess 3.5, POSSIBLY 2.5, but hedging on older.

His short face makes me think he's super young, but his body doesn't match and looks older than that. If I had to guess he's either 3 1/2 or way on the downhill side.

Three year old. Neck and brisket don't match up. No sway back. Really neat buck with his flyer.

I'm with many here in that he is either pretty young or very old. This is a great thread by the way. A lot of people overestimate their ability to age deer from a couple pictures. However, it is still fun and I especially like it when we find out for sure from the OP. I'm am marginal at best at these estimations. So with that disclaimer... due to the big belly and what looks to be a grey face I guess him to be OLD, 7 or more.

I would say 4.5

Hard to tell for sure of course. but i will agree with 4.5yrs. That big of a body, and the neck and face on him is pretty misleading. Although, my ole man killed a big (164 3/8") heavy 8pt back in '07 that looked younger as well. The taxi confirmed he was 5.5 if not older. BIG body.. rack was tall and THICK... just looked like a grown man that had a baby face lol!

I have passed bucks of similar antler size... and ive killed smaller bucks that had age, and a few that didn't. Personally, I would have a hard time passing on that kind of character. BUT i know many guys that have that luxury. If he tickles your fancy, let him have it ;) If not, let him walk and he will be a stud next year! It's a gamble in high pressured areas during the shotgun seasons, but could pay off!

That's crazy. In that pic from 9/17 he looks old.

He's an odd buck! Neat coloring of his face, had last year too. If I can find pictures of it I'll post it, I lose a lot of pictures due to SD cards or flash drives becoming messed up over the years.

IMO- what I think "confuses" many of us, myself included... Pics like that 1st one... It's just how he is "posing" with his face, the lighting, etc.... I've seen a lot of young bucks that can show up in some pics with "long dark snouts" and really it's just the pic itself. It's nice to have the other 2 below it that are more clear and "neutral" on color - you can see his face ALMOST looks more "baby faced" or younger, like a 2-3 year old. The belly and back often are bigger indicators as well. Don't get me wrong, I get fooled all the time BUT I've kinda noticed the things that "make me get fooled" in the past... "Bristled up deer" "aggressive face/snouts in odd pics", etc. I'll continue to misjudge some ages but at least it gets a little easier with following them and learning what things to look at the closest. Good one Josh!

I agree Sligh, it's very hard to guess based on one or two pics. It's good practice to have pics like this. I posted a QDMA poster that I refer to a lot. Although, I have a hard time noting a lot of differences between their 3 1/2 year old and their 6 1/2 year old. It's also interesting that they say main beam length in a rack is generally the best antler indicator of age. Main beam length is also very difficult to estimate without proper angles. Some bucks just don't look their age or fit nicely into our categories.

Last edited:
Top Bottom