Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HSB 158 Crossbows in late archery season

Fishbonker

Life Member
Link to the bill: Crossbow

This bill would allow the use of a crossbow in the late split of the archery season. Currently the crossbow is allowed as an alternate method of take under a late muzzle loader tag. The change would be that a crossbow could be used with an archery tag.

The bill was introduced today and already has a subcommittee assigned.

Representative David E. Maxwell, House District 76, Poweshiek and parts of Iowa counties. Legislative web page: State Representative (iowa.gov) Email: [email protected]

Representative Timi Brown-Powers, House District 61, parts of Blackhawk county. Legislative web site: State Representative (iowa.gov) Email: [email protected]

Representative Brent Siegrist, House District 16, parts of Potawatomi county. Legislative web site: State Representative (iowa.gov) Email: [email protected]

This bill isn't aimed at the archery hunter who decides to take out a CB if they have an unfilled tag. Now a person that has never had any interest in bow hunting can get a late season tag after hunting shotgun. Not sure I can actually call that a bad thing but it does have the potential to increase pressure and harvest.
I agree it's just a step to full inclusion.

It would be interesting if someone from Story county would contact Rep. Bacon and ask what the motivation for introducing this bill is? It seems to have been pretty effective regarding the Teal bill.

Last edited:
This bill isn't aimed at the archery hunter who decides to take out a CB if they have an unfilled tag. Now a person that has never had any interest in bow hunting can get a late season tag after hunting shotgun. Not sure I can actually call that a bad thing but it does have the potential to increase pressure and harvest.

It would be interesting if someone from Story county would contact Rep. Bacon and ask what the motivation for introducing this bill is? It seems to have been pretty effective regarding the Teal bill.
ANYONE can already use a crossbow during late muzzleloader season - so this doesn't add anything other than including a crossbow as part of an ARCHERY tag.

I agree - this year late archery - next year they will push for crossbow in early archery.

ANYONE can already use a crossbow during late muzzleloader season - so this doesn't add anything other than including a crossbow as part of an ARCHERY tag.

I agree - this year late archery - next year they will push for crossbow in early archery.

Yes, but if you traditionally hunt Shotgun you're out of Muzzy. Now that hunter may decide to pick up a bow tag just to hunt late split with a CB. Once that hunter has a CB and an archery tag they'll soon be wanting in on the first split.

In 2/3s of the counties there is antlerless tags. If they wanna buy a crossbow to hunt late season then buy a doe tag and go for it. If they wanna get into archery have them pick up a bow and practice like everyone else. If they just wanna use a Bog death grip and pull a trigger then they might as well just stick to firearm hunting.

Anyone with a decent IQ can see the intent on this bill! If passed then they come after the regular archery season.
During the last year it’s easy to become displacement with the Covid Crap, masks, killing the economy and then the in your face election but do your part to confront these legislators and get these bills stopped!

Figured it was one of them behind this whole thing just unsure which. Now we know it's Ravin.
450 FPS and 3 inch groups at 100. Thats their advertising not mine.. Doesnt seem much like archery to me. Leave em in gun season. Make the calls
New Ravin for 2021 is 500 FPS and has cordless electric cocking and de-cocking

Let’s skip the games here.... let’s just GO BIG & get this done the right way once & for all.... rifles or any weapon u want... august 1 through March 1. Id like to add leg traps to it too... go check my “deer trap line” each AM.

Right now!!!....
“4-6-7-6”... 4 months hunting, 6+ weapons, 7 seasons, 6% timber. These special interests will never stop if we don’t hold the line.

Personally, I would love this. I’m female and despite years of practice, I can barely draw enough weight to make ethical shots. Add a bit of cold, and I can’t do it.

This would actually allow me to use a bow during late season.

I absolutely would not support crossbow during the rut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zim

I sent him an email.

You can use a crossbow during late season currently. Just have to buy a LM tag.

That doesn’t help me fill my bow tag. I didn’t get to hunt LM at all this year because doe tags sold out in my county faster than usual.

Not at all a fan of this for the long-term implications. As already stated, there are plenty of seasons and one can use a crossbow without this change. Even more, I would suspect it’s not that hard to find a doctor to sign off on a medical waiver if someone really wanted a crossbow (I hunt with a compound)...it’s all about the $$.

That doesn’t help me fill my bow tag. I didn’t get to hunt LM at all this year because doe tags sold out in my county faster than usual.

If you didn't get to hunt LM then how would you propose to hunt the 2nd archery split. .......You have the time to hunt or you don't. There are doe tags available or their arn't....

Good post and point. Fair & I understand where u coming from.
If it’s about filling tag- u still have either shotguns to hunt, early ML or u can use your CB during late ML. Maybe traveling to areas with high deer #’s to shoot some does.

I would encourage anyone to TRY and think from this point of view..... we cannot think of “this would uniquely be cool for ME”. We have to spend some time thinking “what’s best for EVERYONE? What’s best for the herd? What’s best to keep iowa an incredibly well managed state? What can we do to provide access & opportunity to good hunting for all levels of hunters?” Stuff like that. You get my point. That does end up helping “ME” in the long run as well.
When we have 4 months, 6+ weapons, 7 seasons and a small amount of good habitat in this state - we all can see where the bottle neck is..... it’s NOT the weapons or seasons & they don’t need to be messed with..... there’s more opportunity there than ANYONE could ever need!!!!! We need to keep things great or even do a little more on the conservative side of things (yes, maybe tighten things up a bit - be better than liberalizing things) so hunting continues to be great, exciting & of high quality.
The more “basic small farms” that are “decent to good hunting” on average, the more youth & regular hunters will want to take the sport up. the more we liberalize it- the more it’s locked up for big farms and the small farms get destroyed with poor management. Counter productive opening more weapons & seasons up. For the good of the “everyday folks & younger hunters” - hold the line. Keep iowa great. No more weapons, seasons or major changes these special interests want. This is one clear line that’s black & white.... folks in iowa - more & more understand what’s going on- have to hold the line. NO MORE.
I’d respectfully BOTTOM LINE the crossbow discussion IMO..... if they get what they want... it might be a tiny win for a very few select & unique hunters. Hunters that still have countless opportunities as it sits right now. The true Winners will be the Crossbow companies & lobbyists - period. $. The Losers will be: the state of iowa, the deer herd, the small farms, the access and the newer/younger hunters.

.it’s all about the $$.
Those 5 simple words %100 accurately describe the demise of our entire country.....endless deep governmental corruption, our dysfunctional healthcare system, the poor quality of our food and the nations obesity epidemic and health crisis, an endless number of issues on a lesser scale along with now each state politicians slowly, state by state, selling out to the Xbow money. It never ends and "the $$" will likely continue to erode this countries quality of life, morals and values. Many words to sum all of this up but one word saddening is a good one.

Top Bottom