Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunting with kids

guitarzan

I have an 11 yr old nephew that I plan on taking to the woods with me this season. I have two tree stands set up in the same tree with the stands next to one another, but I'm curious what set-up everyone else has had luck with. He's a great kid and I hope to spark his interest in bowhunting.

Sounds like a good set up to me, my dad used to do basically the same thing with me when I was a little crap. =) Maybe try a ground blind (if you have one) or build one somewhere. Being eye to eye is waaaay different than being above them, but they will both have the same affect.

I've been taking my two daughters (10 and 5) for the past couple of seasons and we've hunted out of ground blinds. This year I'm going to buy a two-person ladder stand (both Cabelas and Bass Pro archery catalogs have them) to take the oldest up into this fall. I could hang two stands, but I think I'd feel better having her in the same seat with me. If I remember right they have a 500 lb. weight capacity, so 2 adults could film a hunt out of one of these as well.

I've taken a few kids on hunts in the past. Mostly they were children of my friends, since I didn't have any of my own then, and now mine is only 2. Since I wasn't real comfortable taking someone elses son (or daughter) into a tree and risking fall or injury I always opted for a ground blind type hunt. I like to be in reach of the child just in case.
One instance with a child (I think he was 12) we were hunting on a field edge, wind in our favor etc... out came a decent buck 50yds. I was sitting directly behind him and said "squeeze the trigger when you are ready" well he shot and the recoil bounced him pretty good resulting in his finger slapping the trigger again and again and again! 5 shots, 2 seconds, deer unscathed, the boy was a little shaken, but okay. He was all down in the mouth about ruining a perfect night, let alone a shot at a buck, 10 min. later the same buck came back, letting a doe lead the way this time. Same spot, same shot. This time I gave him only one shell and said "Make it count" and he did. This was my first experience with a child, ever since then I've only given each child one shell.

Just thought I'd share.

Pupster

My son got his frist P&Y er at 11 years old. Got deer every year tell about 16 and he had already shot 2 that made P&Y. Then girls and sports come into the picture and didn't have much time for hunting and when he was about 19 stopped bowhunting all togetter. When he frist got married he started again and shot another P&Y er then and nice 8 pointer and then quit again. He done with collage and things are slowing down a little for him he is talking about going out again bowhunting he has a son of his own that is 9 years old and he is wanting to get him started hunting. I do have another grandson that is going to bowhunt and dosn't have a dad around to do things with so, going to take him out a little this year he is 11 and shooting good at 3D shoots. It's some times hard for me to find time when your on a archerys staff and running all over the country shooting and bowhunting but, I think I can get him out early in the season and have some fun with him.

Top Bottom