Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

I feel absolutely sick!!!!

SouthernIowa

PMA Member
Everyday when i think about not getting up at 5 a.m. because im tired or i dont really want to my stand because its freezing outside, I picture a HUGE buck that will probably walk by my stand if i just sit on the couch....well i missed that deer today :thrwrck:.After shooting a nice buck on the 14th i decided to go ahead and get my tenate bow tag instead of waiting for muzz season and to make this story short because ive already replayed it in my head a thousand times, I watched the buck come in from about 150 yards all the way to 20 yards where he stopped behind a freaking tree :mad:. after standing behing this tree he then proceeded to turn around and start walking away on the same trail he came in. I stopped him at 40 yards took a shot and totally blew it. Didnt even nick him. He ran about 20 yards with his tail down stopped turned around and looked in my direction then walked back to where he came from.

Im putting this story on here for two reasons, my girlfriend and family dont understand why ive been on the brink of breaking into tears at any moment and i thought people on here might sympathize with me and to ask you all what my chances are of every seeing this deer again?

Last edited:
He'll be around. Not saying you will see him out of that stand tomorrow, but he probably doesn't know exactly what happened and just got spooked. He's still gonna be in your area, just depends on if he uses that travel route or a doe brings him by. Thats my experiences anyway.

I know how I feel I tell my family and they just don't understand how you feel when you miss. Goodluck hopefully you can get on him again.

Last edited:
That sucks man, but be thankful it was a complete miss rather than a hit with no recovery. Whether he comes back anytime soon or not, at least he's not coyote bait.

I agree with Lyon. As bad as it is to miss, there's NOTHING worse than a bad hit and no recovery. If he simply walked away, he's not too concerned about that carbon torpedo that screamed by him.

That sucks man, but be thankful it was a complete miss rather than a hit with no recovery. Whether he comes back anytime soon or not, at least he's not coyote bait.

Amen to this! I've had that before when I took a shot I never should have at my best buck to date. Needless to say I've never gotten over the no recovery on a bad shot. And never saw him again so you can imagine my sickness there too.

A clean miss is better than a bad hit any day of the week. Chances are that buck is still in the same generally area. Plenty of time left to get back out there after him.

I recall a story similar to this last year when a member shot and missed a nice one. Next day he seen the buck come in on the same trail and the buck looked at the tree he was in the day before. I believe he moved his stand either further up on the trail or back on the trail and ended up shooting him. Based on that story, ya, move your stand a little if you can. He likes that trail for some reason, he'll be back..

I agree, be thankful it was a clean miss..

I'd rather miss a good buck then make a bad shot on one and leave him out there wounded and vulnerable to the coyotes. If I were you Id have my head up and figure out a new game plan on him. Atleast he will live to fight another day.

Top Bottom