Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

I fell…..

Windlooker

I visited my farm over the Easter break to move stands and do other work.

As I write this I’m in Des Moines Mercy Hospital recovering from neck surgery where my c2 and c3 had to be repaired with screws. According to the neuro surgeon I was 2 cm from being a quadriplegic. My prognosis is good but I’m lucky

I didn’t fall far, only several feet from a ladder. It’s not how far you fall it’s how you land.

I truly don’t know what I’m feeling. I feel disappointed, guilty, thankful, stupid……idk

I want to thank the doctors, nurses, and staff at Des Moines Mercy. They are A1 M1 and saved my life. If you know anyone there they are awesome and true heroes. These people have amazing skill sets.

I know it’s been said a million times but harness up!

Last edited:
Daaaaannngggg. Speedy recovery!

Curious if a harness would have helped you or if you would have had to be connected to a lifeline? I always feel the dangerous part of treestands is going up and down. Unless you have a lifeline at every tree a harness doesn't do any good.

Get well!!!

Hate it for ya, but glad it wasn't worse and get better! I think we could all do better harnessing up.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Wow, sorry to hear that, but glad to hear that you have a good prognosis. I shudder when I think of the "free" climbing I used to do back in the day. Nowadays, we use lifelines, harnesses, etc, all of the time. Signed, "I want to play with my grandkids", Dave.

I hope you have a good recovery.

I had a scare one time when my second stick slid down and hit the bottom stick and stopped there. Only maybe a foot slide but my stomach was in my throat and that was a wakeup call. I was only maybe 5 feet off the ground, but it scared the heck out of me. That really made me realize how fast it happens, there is no brief second to grab the tree or a branch. Every since that I always have on a linemans rope when setting sticks/stands and and a lifeline on all set stands. I have a few friends that just flat out dont get it and I hope they never need to learn.

I'm glad you're on the mend, but sorry to hear you took a fall. Makes me wince just thinking about it.

I don't trust the separate segments of climbing sticks sliding down tree trunks, so unless it's a fully assembled ladder or stick, I won't climb it. Screw in steps are ok, if they're the big heavy duty ones. I can't bring myself to use a lifeline though. I just make sure I have a death grip with one hand before I let go with the other. I did start using my harness again this year, due to Muddy's fall post. Hanging and removing stands and ladders is what puckers my bunghole though. A couple of times, I've had to kick away from the tree and bend my knees to brace for the ground impact.

Top Bottom