Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

I fell…..

I'm glad you're on the mend, but sorry to hear you took a fall. Makes me wince just thinking about it.

I don't trust the separate segments of climbing sticks sliding down tree trunks, so unless it's a fully assembled ladder or stick, I won't climb it. Screw in steps are ok, if they're the big heavy duty ones. I can't bring myself to use a lifeline though. I just make sure I have a death grip with one hand before I let go with the other. I did start using my harness again this year, due to Muddy's fall post. Hanging and removing stands and ladders is what puckers my bunghole though. A couple of times, I've had to kick away from the tree and bend my knees to brace for the ground impact.
Over the years, I've had 2 of the thick screw in the steps bust off when climbing them. I don't know why exactly, they had been in the tree for years and years. They weren't rusted thru, just weakened somehow over time. I've learned not to assume everything is good even with them.
That was a lesson I've never forgot.

Get well soon.

Just curious how old you are, and did you ever think it couldn't happen to you? Was it equipment failure, or just slipped? Do you use a harness on the regular? ....I actually do not like using a harness, but I'm older now and wonder if I should.

Glad to hear you avoided a permanent injury or impairment. Also glad you had the courage to share you story with others. We all need reminders that things don't always happen to "the other guy".

Whether it's a bypass surgery needed when no symptoms were present (myself) or a scary fall from a tree, all of us need to acknowledge that things don't always happen to "the other guy".

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Deleted by Ishi
Show…
  • Deleted by Ishi
Show…
Spy, I’m 55 but fit. To be honest I do not wear a harness or life line but I will be now. I was climbing a ladder stand and usually focus on four pts of contact, both feet both hands, before removing one. In this case I hurried and was running up the ladder, slipped, missed my next hand and fell backwards from 10 feet.

This hits home very hard for myself. I am extremely lucky and I have to count my blessing everyday as I also experienced a tree stand accident back in 2002. Fell a legitimate 20 feet when getting down from the stand. A 2 hour army belly crawl dragging several broken bones to the nearest house being I had taken a small boat across a good sized river to access the spot. Things could have turned out much worse than they did. The whole event changed my life quite frankly.
It's very nice to hear that your at least "ok" and I hope for a speedy recovery and hopefully not to much lingering pains and after effects down the road. Go SLOW and 3 points of contact at all times has been my mantra every single time I'm climbing a tree to hunt from then on.

Over the years, I've had 2 of the thick screw in the steps bust off when climbing them. I don't know why exactly, they had been in the tree for years and years. They weren't rusted thru, just weakened somehow over time. I've learned not to assume everything is good even with them.
That was a lesson I've never forgot.
I've heard stories of them breaking, but I don't know how that's humanly possible for the thick buggars that I use. They're 1/4" thick or more I'd say. Thicker than a big old rusty log chain that I use and abuse, and it's never broken. Weaker material maybe?

I've heard stories of them breaking, but I don't know how that's humanly possible for the thick buggars that I use. They're 1/4" thick or more I'd say. Thicker than a big old rusty log chain that I use and abuse, and it's never broken. Weaker material maybe?
Yep, that's the ones that have broken on me. I'd bet it's different steel than a log chain.

We've had a few bust on us. 1 was brand new and only been in the tree a few weeks. Others had been in a while and I always wondered if the tree growing didn't put pressure bending them outward and weaken them over time. I've vowed never again to use screw in steps. Ladder stands or sticks from now on

Scary deal. Glad to hear you're on the road to recovery. I find myself using ladder stands more and more as the years go on. I've never experienced a fall, but I've put myself in some stupid positions over the years messing around with hang ons and sticks. I've always worn a harness in the stand, and have just started investing in lifelines.

This hits home very hard for myself. I am extremely lucky and I have to count my blessing everyday as I also experienced a tree stand accident back in 2002. Fell a legitimate 20 feet when getting down from the stand. A 2 hour army belly crawl dragging several broken bones to the nearest house being I had taken a small boat across a good sized river to access the spot. Things could have turned out much worse than they did. The whole event changed my life quite frankly.
It's very nice to hear that your at least "ok" and I hope for a speedy recovery and hopefully not to much lingering pains and after effects down the road. Go SLOW and 3 points of contact at all times has been my mantra every single time I'm climbing a tree to hunt from then on.
Man, you were lucky to have made it out of that one alive. Dang!

Spy, I’m 55 but fit. To be honest I do not wear a harness or life line but I will be now. I was climbing a ladder stand and usually focus on four pts of contact, both feet both hands, before removing one. In this case I hurried and was running up the ladder, slipped, missed my next hand and fell backwards from 10 feet.
Just like you I was never a harness or lifeline user. Goes without saying that ever since my own tree stand accident that I %100 make sure I am always attached to the tree all the way up and all the way down.
How is your recovery going so far after surgery? Can be some rough times for awhile after surgery and fixing things. Sounds like you have had excellent care which sure is beneficial

Just like you I was never a harness or lifeline user. Goes without saying that ever since my own tree stand accident that I %100 make sure I am always attached to the tree all the way up and all the way down.
How is your recovery going so far after surgery? Can be some rough times for awhile after surgery and fixing things. Sounds like you have had excellent care which sure is beneficial
Recovery is going well. The surgeon went in on the front of my throat which was key because my neck mobility should be fine. If she had to enter through the back of my neck mobility would have been reduced significantly.

I have feeling and use of all limbs which they checked several times daily. Have to wear a neck brace for six weeks. Will take six months to a year for the screws, bone etc to fuse completely. Lots of nerve pain but I’ll take it.

Again close to being paralyzed. The care at Des Moines Mercy is incredible. A debt lll never be able to repay.

Last edited:
Recovery is going well. The surgeon went in on the front of my throat which was key because my neck mobility should be fine. If she had to enter through the back of my neck mobility would have been reduced significantly.

I have feeling and use of all limbs which they checked several times daily. Have to wear a neck brace for six weeks. Will take six months to a year for the screws, bone etc to fuse completely. Lots of nerve pain but I’ll take it.

Again close to being paralyzed. The care at Des Moines Mercy is incredible. A debt lll never be able to repay.
You'll receive a fat monthly bill as the debt you're required to pay. ;)

Scary stuff! Wishing you a good and strong recovery

Top Bottom