Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

I HATE COYOTES!!!!!!!!

b3cc830336440a78a502f9c30f0fcacf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obsessed
I would personally rather have dogs than truck hunters or people pushing. I think they would be a lot more apt to push out deer. I was sitting out on a terrace late ML season a few years ago and watched a yote come by shortly after could hear the dogs coming on trail. They went right by a group of deer in the field and the deer just gave them a look paid no attention to either. At first I was pissed then when I saw 0 reaction from the deer I was pissed I didn't shoot the yote. Problem is dogs that aren't deer broke. That's a different story.
I called my place last Friday evening and the second we cranked up the caller a dozen deer busted out of the ditch right beside us and ran over the hill to the neighbors. So pretty hard to not be intrusive.

I gave permission to a group that runs dog to go after season was over as I am honestly not worried about it being intrusive..I just want them dead. My attempts at calling aren't working anyway.

Coyote numbers here seem like their really thinned down. The Thermal guys are really wacking and stacking coyotes. You can hunt all day around here, and cover a lot of ground and only see 1 coyote. I know of several big groups that hunt hard during winter months, and they go 5+ days without see a coyote.

The remaining yotes are very educated and hard to kill, even at night. They will run away from the calling.

Have a family member that coyote hunting is his obsession and passion, Thermal everything, hunts them everyway possible. Been pondering heading out to South Dakota, to some new country.
Does he want to come to Northern Mo? We have lots of coyotes around. It was my plan to hunt them this winter but I never got after it. It's a problem ...closer than South Dakota!

Obsessed
I would personally rather have dogs than truck hunters or people pushing. I think they would be a lot more apt to push out deer. I was sitting out on a terrace late ML season a few years ago and watched a yote come by shortly after could hear the dogs coming on trail. They went right by a group of deer in the field and the deer just gave them a look paid no attention to either. At first I was pissed then when I saw 0 reaction from the deer I was pissed I didn't shoot the yote. Problem is dogs that aren't deer broke. That's a different story.
I called my place last Friday evening and the second we cranked up the caller a dozen deer busted out of the ditch right beside us and ran over the hill to the neighbors. So pretty hard to not be intrusive.

I gave permission to a group that runs dog to go after season was over as I am honestly not worried about it being intrusive..I just want them dead. My attempts at calling aren't working anyway.
A few years back, a guy, supposedly rabbit hunting, ran about a dozen beagles through a big private timber that I was hunting in the middle of rut. I heard him let the dogs out of the truck 3/4+ mile away and holler, then I heard the dogs baying closer and closer. Every deer in that timber sprinted out in all different directions. Then the dogs came running past and kept on running. I could still hear the dumbass hollering back by his truck, so I walked to him and got his name. He didn't have permission, of course, and his dogs were miles away by this point. The neighbor knew the guy and chewed him out pretty good I guess. Those deer were certainly spooked by those dogs. Maybe in certain areas, they're not, or if the dogs aren't loud beagles, may help too. I can see where dogs that will chase anything that moves are way worse to run through a property than those that are well trained to not chase deer.

Ya that's dumb. Never hunted rabbits with dogs but it's my understanding rabbits circle in close proximity so I'm but I'm guessing here that no rabbit race would ever last that far and those dogs were not rabbit hunting. for life of me would never understand turning a dozen dogs of any breed loose at once. No doubt that would cause a disturbance. Dogs apparently took after their owner in the brain power category.

If BIG bucks are wise and super spooky to intrusion into their core areas, how do you go about killing coyotes around them without pushing them out and into the next county? How wide of birth do you need to provide these bucks in order to be safe? I'd think coyote hounds would be about the worst thing you could have running through ground that you're trying to keep as a safe haven for big bucks.

Also, what are some suggestions for a decent inexpensive thermal? I could see nighttime coyote hunting becoming my next favorite hobby.
Buddy hunts coyotes like deer. He rotates spots & pressure big time. Hunts based on wind, etc. He uses thermal to avoid deer as well. If it’s PM - he’s not on a food plot. Maybe he’s in a field 600 yards away & call some coyotes out of cover. But he’s rarely in same spot - just rotates & keeps pressure low. I don’t think much impact on deer. At least done right.
On dogs- constant dogs- agree- bad news. Can’t be good. If it’s 2-4 times in a whole year- no prob IMO. 20-40 times- YIKES!!!!

When I’m out calling at night with my thermal the deer don’t seem to mind at all. They just kind of walk into the nearest cover and mill around.

If BIG bucks are wise and super spooky to intrusion into their core areas, how do you go about killing coyotes around them without pushing them out and into the next county? How wide of birth do you need to provide these bucks in order to be safe? I'd think coyote hounds would be about the worst thing you could have running through ground that you're trying to keep as a safe haven for big bucks.

Also, what are some suggestions for a decent inexpensive thermal? I could see nighttime coyote hunting becoming my next favorite hobby.
I bought the “Bering Optics Hogster R-25”for $2,300. I really like it. There’s 2 regrets you will have when buying a thermal….1. You didn’t buy one sooner and 2. You didn’t buy the next expensive model

Was driving around the other day and saw a smaller deer running at the edge of a field. A second later, out pops a coyote chasing it! Hope the deer got away!

A few years back, a guy, supposedly rabbit hunting, ran about a dozen beagles through a big private timber that I was hunting in the middle of rut. I heard him let the dogs out of the truck 3/4+ mile away and holler, then I heard the dogs baying closer and closer. Every deer in that timber sprinted out in all different directions. Then the dogs came running past and kept on running. I could still hear the dumbass hollering back by his truck, so I walked to him and got his name. He didn't have permission, of course, and his dogs were miles away by this point. The neighbor knew the guy and chewed him out pretty good I guess. Those deer were certainly spooked by those dogs. Maybe in certain areas, they're not, or if the dogs aren't loud beagles, may help too. I can see where dogs that will chase anything that moves are way worse to run through a property than those that are well trained to not chase deer.
FWIW...anecdotally...I have seen it both ways. Times where deer were on the dead run due to dogs in the timber and other times where they appeared to pay little attention to them, provided they weren't on their trail.

So I really don't know what to say here. Generally speaking though...deer are VERY wary of dogs, even more so than a lone coyote loping around from what I have seen.

Ya that's dumb. Never hunted rabbits with dogs but it's my understanding rabbits circle in close proximity so I'm but I'm guessing here that no rabbit race would ever last that far and those dogs were not rabbit hunting. for life of me would never understand turning a dozen dogs of any breed loose at once. No doubt that would cause a disturbance. Dogs apparently took after their owner in the brain power category.
Another FWIW...I remember watching, with great amusement, a hunter chasing rabbits with probably at least 8 beagles at once way back in the day. It was a hoot to watch and quite the spectacle to witness...and hear. :) I don't remember any interaction with deer though that day...but I bet a person could have heard him coming with that pack a mile away though.

Another FWIW...I remember watching, with great amusement, a hunter chasing rabbits with probably at least 8 beagles at once way back in the day. It was a hoot to watch and quite the spectacle to witness...and hear. :) I don't remember any interaction with deer though that day...but I bet a person could have heard him coming with that pack a mile away though.
If I hadn't gotten up at 4 AM, driven over an hour and walked ~ a mile to my stand, in the middle of rut, I might have found it comical. ;)

I got a lot of coyote pics this fall. Pretty much daily and all times of the day, not just night. So I figured there are quite a few around.

Im not exactly thrilled the past two mondays and nearly the same exact time someones running what I would assume are coyote dogs through my property, but if they kill some coyotes Im sort of okay with it. Im really not upset by it, just wish they would ask. Luckily no pics of a person or any dog pics during deer seasons.

View attachment 124350View attachment 124351
My place is in Ringgold not far from you. I hadn't really had many pics of yotes until about a month ago. Pretty regular now. Last year I had coyote dogs someone was running come through too (haven't seen any for quite a while). I'm ok with dogs after deer season. Kill all the yotes you want, but don't mess up my hunting during season. Definately a balance.

I got a lot of coyote pics this fall. Pretty much daily and all times of the day, not just night. So I figured there are quite a few around.

Im not exactly thrilled the past two mondays and nearly the same exact time someones running what I would assume are coyote dogs through my property, but if they kill some coyotes Im sort of okay with it. Im really not upset by it, just wish they would ask. Luckily no pics of a person or any dog pics during deer seasons.

View attachment 124350View attachment 124351
My place is in Ringgold not far from you. I hadn't really had many pics of yotes until about a month ago. Pretty regular now. Last year I had coyote dogs someone was running come through too (haven't seen any for quite a while). I'm ok with dogs after deer season. Kill all the yotes you want, but don't mess up my hunting during season. Definately a balance.

Shoot every one I see. They are overrunning one of my farms and I can honestly say it has the deer a bit spooked. I don’t hunt them but the last 3-4 years I have shot at least one of this farm during deer season! I need to do a full clean out!

b3cc830336440a78a502f9c30f0fcacf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I tried to find that post on Fakebook & didn’t see link. Is it still up?

Agree on shooting all u see. I’ve had multiple sits in last 3-4 years where I emptied a 6 arrow quiver on coyotes. The best AM I ever had- I hit 5 coyotes & missed one…. Got down - picked up arrows…. Back in stand & got 1 more.

So, my wife may divorce me, or make me send her to Hawaii if I splurge on a thermal scope. Night vision scopes seem more reasonable in price. How much ambient light is necessary for being able to use night vision? I'd probably get one that emits infrared, to boost the capabilities as much as possible. I'd also probably pick well moonlight nights to hunt, so I'm able to see good enough to get around without using a flashlight much. Are night vision scopes a viable option for night hunting coyotes, or is thermal really the only way to go?

I know others will give a lot better answer to your question. All I can offer is a buddy of mine had a night vision and switched to thermal rather quickly. He explained why but I don't remember enough to give you a viable answer.

this is a pretty good video comparing the two. I'll research both technologies in rifle scopes and monoculars. I'd like to get a scope of one type and a monocular of the other type. Use the thermal to find and verify there isn't anything in the background, then use the night vision to verify the target.

Ideally, I'd get a buddy to get a scope of one type and I'd get a scope of the other, and we would hunt together, but then my hunting would be dictated by the availability and willingness of my buddy, and his would be visa-versa.

Top Bottom