Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

IDNRs proposed changes to NRC

VictoryOutdoor

Here is the IDNRs proposed changes for deer hunting for 2014/15 all or parts will/would need to pass the Natural Resource Commission (NRC) on May 8th then it would need to be passed by lawmakers!
picture.php

picture.php

Here's the link if you want to read the whole thing. You'll have to download the file. It's at the bottom of the page. Top file dated 5/8/2014
http://www.iowadnr.gov/.../NaturalResourceCommission.aspx

I sincerely hope this passes, now would be an excellent time to share your thoughts with the governor.

Gosh I hope the don't end it. My buddies and I enjoyed that 150 mile drive down south to help you guys control your deer heard. Being able to whack every doe we seen was just the icing on the cake! :)

Yep. Or any of your other representatives. Someone should tell Hoosierhunter too...:D:D:D

It's a step in the right direction for the state. My only question would be how many does were taken last year per county as compared to the new quotas? IE if it was 4500 and it's now 2500 but only 2300 does were taken it's just smoke and mirrors. Can anyone find that out?

Last year there were 115,950 tags available. 84,577 tags sold. 31,373 tags available on the last day of the season.

Since 84,577 tags were sold and they are proposing only have 61,925 available, that is 22,652 tags that were sold last year that will not be sold this year.

Should be a net reduction in the deer harvest.

If we just grabbed a county, lets say Van Buren the does, button bucks and shed bucks equaled 1779 deer killed that could have been used on a doe tag. They are proposing 1350 doe tags total this year for Van Buren. What we do not know is the percentage of doe tags versus either sex tags out of the 1779 deer killed but I would venture to say it is most likely high. I would think this would mean a net reduction for Van Buren county this year in antlerless deer. Not a whole lot but a start.

Granted this is only one county. I have not looked at any of the others. Seems to be step in the right direction.

It's a step in the right direction for the state. My only question would be how many does were taken last year per county as compared to the new quotas? IE if it was 4500 and it's now 2500 but only 2300 does were taken it's just smoke and mirrors. Can anyone find that out?

A better question to ask is what percentage of tags were filled. IE using 2300 of 4500 is about 51%. If that were the case, it would be safe to say this year there will be about 51% of 2500, or about 1275 harvested.

A better question to ask is what percentage of tags were filled. IE using 2300 of 4500 is about 51%. If that were the case, it would be safe to say this year there will be about 51% of 2500, or about 1275 harvested.

And add all of the counties together, that is a significant change in how many does will be harvested.

Based on the 2012 report by the DNR only Van Buren county will have a major impact from the reduced doe tags in southern Iowa. All the counties killed below the number of reduced tags.

One positive is that it still will reduce the herd based on hunter success rates not being 100% per tag. I'd venture to guess that the success percentage goes from the 30's in 2012 to 60-75% thin 2014.

When i pull up the pdf's or down load them, it doesn't have the details listed that are pictured in the OP.
It only shows in blue print (pending finalization).

Or is it just me?

When i pull up the pdf's or down load them, it doesn't have the details listed that are pictured in the OP.
It only shows in blue print (pending finalization).

Or is it just me?

Not just you. They updated it shortly after the original report was posted. Hopefully that doesn't mean they're already walking it back.

I think this would help Iowa big time, getting rid of the late doe season would be major change!

I like it. Too bad it probably won't pass (based on previous years). And, although the late season doe doesn't hurt me specifically since I don't hunt the lower counties, i'm all for getting rid of it. Good proposal by the DNR in my opinion.

I think this would help Iowa big time, getting rid of the late doe season would be major change!

This is my thought as well. While I would still like to see a lower # of antlerless tags offered, if nothing else is done but to eliminate this late season the harvest WILL drop IMO no matter how many tags are available.

Everything looks good to me. I'm just hoping to get rid of the late antler(less) season.

Top Bottom