Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

If deer & deer hunting disappeared what would you do?

My 50 acres of creek bottom will be worth nothing, so I would be stuck with it so it would be a rec spot for atvs and horses. I would grow hay on the 5 acres that I now plant food plots on and sell that for income.

I would fish in the fall, typically shut it down by August. Start a Christmas tree farm on the hunting property, figure out what’s left and go out of state hunting.

• Deleted by Boonervilleusa
  • Reason: need to redo
Show…
"When the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice, for we are hunters and we want our freedom." -- Chief Sitting Bull, Hunkpapa Lakota Sioux, 1831-1890.

I will find something to hunt.
I'm already practicing. Looking for that special something for Valentine Day? Can be rolled up for a pinky ring or put on a turn signal to keep your fingers warm in the winter. These are heading fishbonker's way but I can catch more.
put up fur.jpeg

Waterfowl, Upland, Turkeys, Coyotes, trap, heck I have a hard time deciding on what I’m going to hunt one less animal wouldn’t hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry I'm late to the party responding. I saw the original post and got triggered and required counseling for a few days. I'm ok now...the Xanax and Diazepam have kicked in. I had to think pretty hard about what I would do without whitetails in my life...I live and breath whitetails every day of the year. but this is what I came up with for what I think my year would look like otherwise.

January: Ice fishing, rabbit hunting
February: Ice fishing, trapping
March: Trout fishing in NC
April: Crappie fishing, shed hunting out west (elk, mule deer, moose)
May: Crappie/bluegill fishing, shed hunting out west (elk, mule deer, moose)
June: Camping, bass fishing
July: Camping, night bowfishing
August: High country Mule Deer
September: Elk
October: Squirrel hunting
November: Rifle mule deer hunt during the rut
December: NC bear hunting behind hounds

Sounds like a lot, but when I think about what I spend on Whitetails every year..I could afford several out of state trips every year, especially if I stayed with and hunted with buddies. I guess it wouldn't be the worst life, but man I would miss my whitetails.

Last edited:
Ooof. Hope I never have to make this decision. I didn't always hunt nearly as hard as I have the past 4 years of my life. In my 20's I was a guy who hunted and not a hunter; as a result I spent a lot of my time at the gym, played guitar, put 4,000+ miles on my sport bike a summer and spent way too much money at the bars. Whitetails are pretty much my only hobby now, so I'd have to reinvent myself. Probably end up buying a ton more guns, get into dirt bikes and motorcycles and fish a lot more. My wife should be happy I hunt.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I’d go back to my fishing roots if I couldn’t hunt deer and with the pheasant numbers so poor. I have a boat I haven’t had out of the shed for 2 years now, but being too busy with deer hasn’t been the issue. . Booked a late May Lake Michigan charter for the family last week. Thinking of getting into fly fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just pondering what would happen to the Industry that has grown around deer hunting if deer disappear. Mind boggling! What would all the cable shows do? All the gadgets and clothing. Talk about a monetary loss!!

I would log my whole timber. Try to have some of it farmed to help make the payment. Put in ponds to fish and shoot ducks. i'd be a much better golfer, but my bar tab would be much higher. Who doesn't love a few blue yummies on a 95 degree day.

I hope you are not catching all of those in your house!! :-D

Nope. Old garage and around the outside of the house. They have chewed wires under my truck that sits in the driveway outside the house. Several hundy in repair. It's been all out war since this summer. 17 chipmunks and I have to be well over 100 mice by now. The jihad will continue until all the infidel rodents are dead.

Just pondering what would happen to the Industry that has grown around deer hunting if deer disappear. Mind boggling! What would all the cable shows do? All the gadgets and clothing. Talk about a monetary loss!!

I'd have to think land prices in Iowa would drop too...

Although I am not predicting a return to this...I am old enough to remember hunting in IOWA where you could easily hunt for several days and see NO deer, or very, very few. Granted, we sucked as hunters back then, but still. :)

I remember one of my grandpa's telling me he was about 15 when he saw his first deer in the wild. He grew up on a farm in an area that was not lacking for habitat, so that really amazed me.

Also, I was thinking a little more while reading other responses here...this is somewhat the reality for some who have already lost access to their hunting spots due to leases, ground being bought up for hunting, etc. Yes, they usually have the option of public land, but how many hunters can public land support until the hunting pressure there is bad enough that either no deer stay or hunters throw in the towel. Some have already had to make that choice of what to do next. Glad I'm not one of them, and hope to not have to make that choice.

No kidding with the Mice. The product of Golden fields of grain. I have 6 traps in my Garage. The old victor ones. You can clamp down on a kernel of corn and use it many times on many mice. Until the snow I was up to 30 of em caught in one corner. Never ending battle. sort of like the Middle East,,sorry shouldn't have went there.

Ge
No kidding with the Mice. The product of Golden fields of grain. I have 6 traps in my Garage. The old victor ones. You can clamp down on a kernel of corn and use it many times on many mice. Until the snow I was up to 30 of em caught in one corner. Never ending battle. sort of like the Middle East,,sorry shouldn't have went there.
...and why don't you just get a cat.

I'd probably go elk hunting as much as possible and golf more then I do now which actually might not be possible but I'd give it my best shot.

Fishing, pheasant and grouse hunting. I would guess more out of state trips to hunt something.

I don't think we have to worry, natures way of controlling the population (my guess).

Top Bottom