Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

If u were the "Deer Dictator" on Laws- what would u do?

CRP is not as dead as everyone thinks. As mentioned before, $3-$4 corn and CRP rates, which in some cases are $175-$250 an acre, will be popular again.

I like the idea of planting two trees, for every tree bulldozed, kind of like wetland credits. However, that will never happen as it is impossible to monitor.

The best thing for wildlife in Iowa would be nice timely rains in the Midwest...then we would have a good crop and corn/bean prices would drop and tame this market!

Last edited:
  • Deleted by N/A
Show…
I've noticed several people mentioning "all seasons end Dec 31st". what's the reasoning behind this? not trying to start anything...just curious.

I think there has been a lot of good suggestions on this thread. I don't have the answers to the rules and regulations but a couple things struck my attention...

I've grown up on a farm in Iowa and have a point-of-view from a hunters and farmers perspective. I want there to be a habitats where deer and the rest of Iowa's wildlife can flourish in the future. I want to be able to pass down hunting traditions that I was taught to my kids some day. But, being around the farm and pursuing a career in Agriculture, I understand why there has been an increase in clearing timber and other habitats to be able to farm the ground. Just like anyone who owns a business, if you find a way to increase your profits...you're going to do it right???? I am not saying I agree with someone clearing hundreds and hundreds of acres of wildlife habitat. But I also don't think many farmers are turning that many acres into newly farmable ground in the first place. Ground turned into corn and soybean fields are still going to benefit the deer in some way I think...

I think there has been a lot of good suggestions on this thread. I don't have the answers to the rules and regulations but a couple things struck my attention...

I've grown up on a farm in Iowa and have a point-of-view from a hunters and farmers perspective. I want there to be a habitats where deer and the rest of Iowa's wildlife can flourish in the future. I want to be able to pass down hunting traditions that I was taught to my kids some day. But, being around the farm and pursuing a career in Agriculture, I understand why there has been an increase in clearing timber and other habitats to be able to farm the ground. Just like anyone who owns a business, if you find a way to increase your profits...you're going to do it right???? I am not saying I agree with someone clearing hundreds and hundreds of acres of wildlife habitat. But I also don't think many farmers are turning that many acres into newly farmable ground in the first place. Ground turned into corn and soybean fields are still going to benefit the deer in some way I think...

Drive around page and taylor county..look at the number of giant brush piles, and find out how many miles of hedge, filter strips, and acres of CRP have been replaced. I grew up on a farm, my dad still farms, and due to his love of money over memories, clean water, and conservation, the dude doesn't have a damn weed, tree, or blade of grass on his acres. Yet, he had money from the Hungry Canyons' Alliance, help with creek erosion(a good thing)but won't put a filter strip in.

I've noticed several people mentioning "all seasons end Dec 31st". what's the reasoning behind this? not trying to start anything...just curious.
My guess would be to protect the shed bucks and also removing stress on the deer that have been hunted since Oct. 1.

Some of it comes down to just plain greed. some of the people in the business are not environmentalists. It's similar to the line of thinking "if it's brown... it's down". Only, This is more like If It's farmable, why not farm it?" Timber/forests are not easily replaceable. It takes years and years for it to come back.

If you really want to help and end the season on the 31st to help with stress, then bow season should not be allowed during the the rut so the big bucks can breed and not get shot.

Some of it comes down to just plain greed. some of the people in the business are not environmentalists. It's similar to the line of thinking "if it's brown... it's down". Only, This is more like If It's farmable, why not farm it?" Timber/forests are not easily replaceable. It takes years and years for it to come back.

I 100% agree with you that timber/forests are not easily replaceable. And yes, a farmer that clears a couple hundred+ acres of timber/forests/CRP, etc. IS greedy. I also don't agree with taking out filter strips or waterways. We do not have a lot of timber up here either which makes it less of a problem. What I am trying to say is a farmer who takes his 80 acre field of CRP out to plant corn or soybeans is not doing anything environmentally detrimental. He is maximizing his profits and putting food on your dinner plate. :way:

Last edited:
IMO
1. Getting rid of hush will only do one thing, they will blast and leave lay or dump in a road ditch, found 4 near my house that way. Racks cut off bucks not even gutted.
2. Mandate any land under 35 csr is not allowed to be row cropped, must plant trees or native prairie.
3. Regulate depredation tags, John Doe wants tags because he has to many deer, John Doe has multiple food plots to attract deer. If he wants deer numbers reduced he let's dnr allow people to buy doe tags and hunt there.
4. Give some of Iowas financial surplus to DNR to fight poachers and trespassers.

Agree with alot of what has been said, I would add:

1. No sale of horns (harvest, shed, found dead) - would elimiante alot of tresspassing and poaching

2. Remove the rifle season, if you want to hunt late it should be bow where less mistakes can be made (I don't think I have hunted a midwest state yet where season doesn't extend past Dec. 31st)

3. Shorter gun seasons - Not that I agree with doing this, but if I were making a mega buck state that is what I would do

There have been some excellent suggestions and some that are not too realistic.
We have already made progress with the closing of the Thanksgiving doe season
but I think there are two areas that we really need to work on.
1) Have all seasons end by Dec. 31. Especially muzzleloader season; in our area all it is, is an excuse for guys to ride around and use a 200yd weapon from the road so the shorter the season the easier it will be to curtail this type of activity.
2)Stop poaching! I was so tired of people cruising by my crop fields and shooting from the road that I moved all food to the interior which should have helped but they cut the fences and knocked down the gates. So, to echo other comments, it doesn't matter how well you manage your property or how much self control you have because someone is going to come along and rob you of all of your efforts. Increase patrols, increase rewards and have the wardens focus on the majors not the minors.
By the way Skip, thanks for bringing this subject up........now where do we go from here?

A bit confused as to why party hunting is considered a "NR loop hole". Party hunting in Iowa was around long before Iowa was known for it's big bucks.

The shedbuck/late doe season with rifles needs to stop ASAP! Everything ends Dec 31!

Someone said something about a shed hunting licence? I hope not.

Let guys bowhunt during gun season.

One either sex tag per person per year, landowner get's second tag.

I would try to figure a way to institute a shooting proficiency test, I have seen some guys that can't hit a barn from inside it with a bow or gun.

The loophole is people buying just a doe tag to hunt and shoot bucks on others anysex tags.

The loophole is people buying just a doe tag to hunt and shoot bucks on others anysex tags.

I understand that and I know the NR do this, but it is a popular resident practice as well. I would get rid of party hunting all together but you will have guys that say this is a tradition and that they enjoy the comradery of hunting with buddies this way.

No more party hunting, No more deer driving, and I think a (1) buck per hunter, per season, would eliminate alot of "immature" deer deaths.

Beyond that, I'd like to actually see our license fee's actually be used specifically for DNR officers and associated costs. 1 DNR for 4 counties is a joke. Poachers have an open field!

Top Bottom