Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

If We Build it....Will They Come ?

Arrowsmith1

We plan on putting in a 3D archery range with 3D targets and practice bags on our ground in Davis county. We will have a small shop that will offer basic bow maintenance services (not much merchandise). We plan to have some 3D shoots during the spring and summer as well.

Good luck! It's alot of work to keep up and maintain. We have to set up and take down for each of our 3 shoots. It's definitely alot of work. If you have any ?'s let me know.

We plan on putting in a 3D archery range with 3D targets and practice bags on our ground in Davis county. We will have a small shop that will offer basic bow maintenance services (not much merchandise). We plan to have some 3D shoots during the spring and summer as well.
Another thing that we have found. Back in the early 2000's soccer exploded, as well as some other things that keep people busy on wknds. Our clubs #'s dropped off @ that time. I know since then we do all 2 day shoots, we try to be flexible with people's busy schedules. I think if you "Build it they will come" but what is it you are trying to achieve? Do you plan on holding shoots that are open to the public or are you just looking for a good ol boys club to hang out and do some shooting?

Another thing that we have found. Back in the early 2000's soccer exploded, as well as some other things that keep people busy on wknds. Our clubs #'s dropped off @ that time. I know since then we do all 2 day shoots, we try to be flexible with people's busy schedules. I think if you "Build it they will come" but what is it you are trying to achieve? Do you plan on holding shoots that are open to the public or are you just looking for a good ol boys club to hang out and do some shooting?

My wife and I have been the ASA (Archery Shooters Association) state directors here in Texas since 2005. We took Texas from a small ASA state to number 1 in the nation in state level attendance. We don't have plans to make ASA that big in Iowa. We are retiring and don't want to work that hard.:D

With that being said we will have a state qualifier and a state championship at our place. If any other clubs want to host a state qualifier they will be welcome. There are a couple of clubs in southern Iowa that use ASA insurance, but as far as I know have never hosted an ASA shoot. The title sponsor for ASA is Delta/McKenzie targets which is in Dike, Iowa. It only makes sense for ASA to have a presence in Iowa even if it is a small presence. There are a good number of shooters in Iowa that participate in ASA Pro/Ams (national events). This will give these shooters a chance to shoot some local ASA format events. Hopefully we can introduce the ASA format to Iowa shooters that have been wanting to give it a try. We are close enough to Missouri that we can make our state qualifiers bi-state (Iowa/Missouri) which would qualify shooters that attend from both states.

Great deal! You are obviously well versed in how the events are set up and what they take to run!
I'm up closer to the ne corner of the state. We are a 100% iba club that shoots 40 3d targets at unmarked yardages.
Best of luck to you and keep us posted.

We already have some targets in storage in Iowa.
5ec9cb64e51722a0c4f5ff82873c3ed7.jpg
659ac71bffecb9671b2a07003a1e4c16.jpg
c08911b0077f262005f717af2b7e6dd6.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I wish we had ASA here in IA. I plan on trying to get to at least one this year, probably Metropolis.

for what its worth to answer your question, yes if you build it they will come. Not in huge numbers, but there will be people show up. My buddies and I shoot somewhere almost every weekend throughout the summer and are always looking for a new place to shoot. Advertise it!

I wish we had ASA here in IA. I plan on trying to get to at least one this year, probably Metropolis.

for what its worth to answer your question, yes if you build it they will come. Not in huge numbers, but there will be people show up. My buddies and I shoot somewhere almost every weekend throughout the summer and are always looking for a new place to shoot. Advertise it!

Will do. Once we get settled on our farm we will get things going. Most likely this will be for next year (2019). I know the local shooters in Iowa are not used to the ASA format, but I think they will like it. We are not expecting a lot of shooter, but will appreciate whoever shows up.

What is ASA? I go to a shoot nearly every weekend from starting in the spring all the way until September. All the shoots I go to are mostly 40 targets at unmarked yardages. You have a scorecard, but its just for you to track yourself really, they are not competitions. Most have a website you can see how you placed though which is fun to see.

I am not REAL well versed in ASA but I do know they have a different scoring system. The ASA scoring rings are the smaller rings in side of the IBO 10 ring on a 3D target. The small upper and lower rings are counted as a 12, the small center ring is only counted as a 10 the shooter needs to call which 12 ring he/she is shooting at (upper or lower). Also ASA has many different classes including known and unknown distances. Just a whole different format that changes a lot up.

I am not REAL well versed in ASA but I do know they have a different scoring system. The ASA scoring rings are the smaller rings in side of the IBO 10 ring on a 3D target. The small upper and lower rings are counted as a 12, the small center ring is only counted as a 10 the shooter needs to call which 12 ring he/she is shooting at (upper or lower). Also ASA has many different classes including known and unknown distances. Just a whole different format that changes a lot up.

Yes. What really sets ASA apart is the high 12/low 12 scoring. The low 12 is in play on all targets at all times unless the shooter elects to call the high 12. ASA also has unknown yardage classes and known yardage classes. The known yardage classes have become very popular and have greatly increased the number of shooters participating in ASA events. After all we all use rangefinders for hunting now days.

There are many different shooting classes where everyone can find their comfort level and compete against their peers of like age and skills. I am in the process of writing an article for the Paris, Texas newspaper about ASA for the upcoming ASA national Pro/Am. When I am done I will post it on here. It will give shooters more insight into what ASA is all about.

ASA scoring diagram..jpg 90 degree 12.jpg

So with ASA the very center ring is not scored as a 12?

This is correct. It is scored as a 10. Looking at the above photo, with ASA the shooter has to call the top ring if he/she is going to attempt to land an arrow in it. If the shooter shoots low they fall into a ten. The bottom ring does not need to be called, if the shooter shoots low the likelihood of scoring an eight is greater than with the top ring. If that makes sense. In a nut shell the bottom ring is riskier to shoot at.

ASA also has a speed limitation on bows depending on what class. Keeps the playing field level. Also why you don't see top shooters shooting bows that are blistering fast. I believe 280-290fps is the limit.

This is correct. It is scored as a 10. Looking at the above photo, with ASA the shooter has to call the top ring if he/she is going to attempt to land an arrow in it. If the shooter shoots low they fall into a ten. The bottom ring does not need to be called, if the shooter shoots low the likelihood of scoring an eight is greater than with the top ring. If that makes sense. In a nut shell the bottom ring is riskier to shoot at.

ASA also has a speed limitation on bows depending on what class. Keeps the playing field level. Also why you don't see top shooters shooting bows that are blistering fast. I believe 280-290fps is the limit.

I see. Well i'm not quite that advanced yet. As long as i'm consistently getting 8's and 10's i'm happy. Usually get a few 12's sprinkled in. I have got a lot better the past few years, finally broke 400 last September at Mahaska county ikes

Nice shooting! You shot against some good shooters! We really stretched out the open stakes for this weekends shoot. Hunter stakes will be challenging as well.

Nice shooting! You shot against some good shooters! We really stretched out the open stakes for this weekends shoot. Hunter stakes will be challenging as well.

I just shoot in the bowhunter class. Wont make it this weekend, still looking for sheds. I do like that Mahaska ikes has those couple shoots in September, seems the majority of shoots are done for the year by the time September comes.

Top Bottom