Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Jared Mills leaving Midwest Whitetail

Bassattackr

Pretty wild, bummed to see him go. Discusses it at the intro.

Would love to see him reunited with Winke once again.

I felt like something was up when he sold his share of the river farm to Mike. Maybe some conflict? Since he doesn't have anything lined up out of Midwest Whitetail it makes you wonder.

I've hardly watched MW since Bill sold it or whatever. I'm really enjoying watching bills new channel he just recently started. I had just started to watch a few videos of MW last year and again this year. IMO there was a rift Mike and Jared, especially after Mike shot Marino last year and that was probably the final straw. But who knows, dont really care, Im not big on watching 'celebrity hunters' anymore. It is sort of fun as time goes on though to see how things change and the paths some of the people take.

Never heard of him! Could care less what the TV guys do
Don’t know him personally but wouldn’t put him in the same crowd as “TV” guys and wouldn’t put Bill Winke in that crowd either. Jared seems to be a cool cat and is enjoyable to watch and listen too/learn from. Hopefully he has a good door open for him. MW doesn’t have the same flavor without Winke and will suffer more without Jared. Not knocking Mike but the laughing after kills makes me turn it off. I don’t watch hunting videos and don’t have TV and agree with you on TV personalities!

Last edited:
Don’t know him personally but wouldn’t put him in the same crowd as “TV” guys and wouldn’t put Bill Winke in that crowd either. Jared seems to be a cool cat and is enjoyable to watch and listen too/learn from. Hopefully he has a good door open for him. ...
I agree, Jared should NOT be lumped in with all of the TV personalities. He is pretty down to earth and I have always enjoyed watching his content. Best wishes to him in whatever path he follows.

Edit to add "NOT" above, my bad. I like Jared.

Last edited:
Yeah i feel for Jared. Watched the show since it was started. This is complete speculation on my part but I think when Mike shot Prodigy when they both agreed to pass him that set things in motion. Then when Mike got virtually every trophy on the farm it was more salt in the wound. Can't really fault either one of them. Mike seems like a good dude as well just got very lucky and had to make a decision that 95% of us would have made on Prodigy in the heat of the moment. Plus if you follow the show at all it was hard not to feel good for Mike knowing all the stuff he was going through with his son.

Will miss Jared. I've learned just as much from him as I have from Winke over the years.

I'll freely admit that I don't think I've ever watched the show, let alone know the characters and the deer they've killed. Did watch a few minutes of the video posted by the OP and after the second "he showed up on such and such cell cam in the morning so we set up there in the evening " I just quit watching.

It is interesting. 41 North being Jared's media company which produced MW...I wonder if he sold his part of that or if that is where his focus is going to be but in a different direction. I've always enjoyed the Chasing November series. It's a relaxing and enjoying show...well wishes to Jared and Mike, and all others apart of the MW crew.

It does look like he (Jared) has a new LLC under his name....

Last edited:
The “hunting industry” is a tough business. I was involved when asked to “just to help with habitat information” for a year. Turned into a lot more than that & i wasn’t the type that wanted to “film my hunts” & deal with all the other day to day stuff. Why I only did it for a year. It’s demanding & u need to love it. I love doing the habitat info, conservation, defending iowas regulations, helping young hunters but no way could I do a full time filming gig with a camera man filming my hunts. In general, I think some folks in industry get to a point where it rubs on their love for the sport. They start to feel it’s a job & not fun. They burn out. Talking in general from a lot of folks I know that have done it. You do have a few personalities that are “look at ME!” But the dudes that do it for the love of hunting - it can come at a cost. If someone told me I could make $ but I would start to “not like hunting”…. No thank you. No clue what this particular reasoning was BUT…. Tough industry…. Folks in it for the love of hunting do sometimes get burnt out & those that do it ONLY/MAINLY to be “celebs” are just tools.
One more reason I can’t wait to be in the woods soon. Only filming I’ll do is for my own private enjoyment when I pass a deer - get a quick clip of him. Best wishes to those with a passion to film that do have the right motives though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with a lot of comments above. If I had to hunt for an occupation, I think it would take all of the fun out of it. Pretty soon you resent it. I hunt to get away from the world. Not be video taped, and broadcast to the whole country. (I wouldn't be to excited about having a cammera man in the tree with me)

Now taking young people hunting and watching their excitement, now thats awesome.

Best wishes in his future endeavors. I know it's tough, I have filmed/been part of several companies/shows/whatever you want to call them. It truly gets ugly in the big picture of it, even best friends end up going different directions. Most guys think of it as a pay day and do whatever they can, and thats not right either...

I wondered why Mills had been MIA, he is a humble guy, always liked him. I enjoy MW a lot, but it isn't the same without Winke; Winkes new channel is great btw. I honestly don't know how guys can afford to be on the MW pro staff. I see guys who have to offload practically their entire kit because the show sponsors change almost yearly. I don't know what type of discount they're getting, but I doubt it's worth it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

The “hunting industry” is a tough business. I was involved when asked to “just to help with habitat information” for a year. Turned into a lot more than that & i wasn’t the type that wanted to “film my hunts” & deal with all the other day to day stuff. Why I only did it for a year. It’s demanding & u need to love it. I love doing the habitat info, conservation, defending iowas regulations, helping young hunters but no way could I do a full time filming gig with a camera man filming my hunts. In general, I think some folks in industry get to a point where it rubs on their love for the sport. They start to feel it’s a job & not fun. They burn out. Talking in general from a lot of folks I know that have done it. You do have a few personalities that are “look at ME!” But the dudes that do it for the love of hunting - it can come at a cost. If someone told me I could make $ but I would start to “not like hunting”…. No thank you. No clue what this particular reasoning was BUT…. Tough industry…. Folks in it for the love of hunting do sometimes get burnt out & those that do it ONLY/MAINLY to be “celebs” are just tools.
One more reason I can’t wait to be in the woods soon. Only filming I’ll do is for my own private enjoyment when I pass a deer - get a quick clip of him. Best wishes to those with a passion to film that do have the right motives though.

Bingo...at the end of the day, it's a business. Learned that in the athletic / baseball world years ago...And, you're the commodity :)

I've watched MW for years and always enjoyed the show. THP and MW are the only guys I really watch somewhat regularly (gotta get a hunting fix somehow when you can't hunt yourself HA) MW guys were kinda the pioneers of the semi-live shows that we have now and it has been a valuable learning tool for me over the years. I do think the camera wears down certain guys. Winke talked about that when he stepped away. He just wanted to hunt out of the spotlight for a bit because it was taking the fun out of it for him. He seems to enjoy what he's doing now, working to try and get his daughter her first bow deer, habitat stuff, strategy, etc.

Jared was always a favorite of mine along with Bill. Hopefully we see more out of Jared. I agree with others about a potential wrinkle in Jared and Mike's relationship though. Gotta be really hard to go in on a farm with a friend I'd think. Then when your friend kills a giant you guys agreed to let go and virtually every other shooter on the farm. I could see it causing frustration.

MW is interesting. One of the teams gained permission on a neighbors farm and I thought it might be for the greater good because they would be quality hunters. In reality, it's all about swatting what ever you can to lay down video and then take some trick pictures to make a 145 look like a 165, with no concern about the future. Opened my eyes to how it really works.

Last edited:
Top Bottom