Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

JD 7000 No-till planter

dbltree

Super Moderator
I've had one of these for quite a few years now...works great and a number of people are picking them up for planting food plots.

They are pretty reasonable...who uses a 4 row planter anymore

Often someone ask questions knowing that I have one so I took some pics today in hopes that it might be helpful when trying to put that chain or sprocket back on

JD7000No-till.jpg

JD7000.jpg

No-tillcoulters.jpg

Drive chain:

Drivechain1.jpg

UpperDrive.jpg

FrontviewDrive.jpg

Drives for seed boxes...adjust driver and driven for correct seed population here:

7000chain.jpg

Seed box drive chain

PlanterChain.jpg

Planterchaindrive.jpg

Attaching the planter box

AttachingPlanterbox.jpg

Don't forget to engage the drive:

Engageplanterdrive.jpg

Soybean cup attachment:

Beancup.jpg

Corn cup attachment...to 1/2" nuts switch corn and bean cups...piece a cake!

CornCup.jpg

If I missed anything...let me know and I'll add a pic and if anybody has things to add, problems etc....please add to this thread /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I sold my JD7000 4 row down at Duwa's Auction in Wellman, Iowa last spring. Mine was set up for liq fert, too. I replaced the original row closers with Martin spades. They seemed to seal the row no matter what the soil condition as I was strictly no-till.

I sold mine to avoid the temptation to farm! I thought about keeping it for foodplots, but figured I could have the guy we hire to custom farm do that for me without worrying about the headaches of breakdowns/maintenance/etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I sold mine to avoid the temptation to farm! </div></div>

Boy...don't I know that feeling

A small tractor, a 7000 no-till and...your farming

Call the elevator to have it sprayed and fertilized...and someone to custom combine...$4 dollar corn makes it very tempting

I do know one farmer who uses two 4 row 7000's rather then spend a fortune for a new larger planter.

They are good planters for which parts are readily available

Thanks for posting the pics. The first drive chain photo is the one I needed. Is there a spring holding one of the rollers in place? Thanks,

I recently bought a 7000 with dry fertilizer boxes. It's got the same corn meters you've posted. What sprocket settings to you use to plant corn? Any idea what sprocket settings I should use for the fertilizer boxes?

Heck, while were at it, maybe you know what I should do for beans &amp; milo as well. I've got kinzee bean meters.
I seen you're post on QDMA that linked me here. Someone already used pinwheel, so I had to go with my second choice for a login.

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a spring holding one of the rollers in place?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope..it's a slide tightner:

Chaintightners.jpg

Just slide it to take out the slack and tighten...it's the upper/back one:

Slidingtightner.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
I recently bought a 7000 with dry fertilizer boxes. It's got the same corn meters you've posted. What sprocket settings to you use to plant corn? Any idea what sprocket settings I should use for the fertilizer boxes?

Heck, while were at it, maybe you know what I should do for beans &amp; milo as well. I've got kinzee bean meters.
I seen you're post on QDMA that linked me here. Someone already used pinwheel, so I had to go with my second choice for a login.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's better if you have a book so you can change the settings as needed.

I used 22 driven and 22 driver for my beans and 22/14 for my corn.

I'll jot down some of the settings and add them to this post.

I've got a book on order from JD. ($48 ouch) Hopefully it'll be here yet this week. Plan to plant corn late in the week.

My 7000 is set at 38" rows and row width matters but here's a few settings:

Soybeans

30" rows 62# per acre 22 driver 22 driven

49# per acre 22 driver 28 driven

36" rows 60# per acre 22 driver 18 driven

49#'s per acre 22 driver 22 driven

Corn

30" rows 26,000 22 driver 22 driven

32,000 22 driver 18 driven

38" rows

21,900 15 driver 14 driven

23,600 8 driver 7 driven

23,800 15 driver 13 driven

24,300 13 driver 11 driven

28,000 30 driver 22 driven

32,000 22 driver 14 driven

There are plenty of seeding rate options so it's best to have the book but these are just a few possibles.

Last edited:
dbltree, really appreciate the advice on the planter. I got between 5-6 acres of corn planted right in front of all the rain. Wouldn't have had any idea how to set it up without you. Thanks. I did pick up my manual this week, so I'll be ready for my soybeans, milo/sorghum.

Question , The driver is the sprocket on the drive wheel ? Driven is sprocket on seed box ration correct ? Thanks going to use mine for winter peas this year .

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I am considering buying one. My buddy says I need a two row but my access area is wide enough for a four row.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. I am considering buying one. My buddy says I need a two row but my access area is wide enough for a four row.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
I’d get 4 row then. 4 row are often times cheaper than a 2 row. Pull type so the weight isn’t an issue. Get no till.
Any 7000.... learn to work on em or bring to any basic farm repair guy in off season.... most anyone can work on them. ..... here’s basic checklist off top of head. U can get ur planter parts from shoup...
1) make sure corn Meters in good shape (get precision meters if need replace) & u get kinze style radial bean meters (not junky JD bean cups). & check boxes to make sure good shape
2) all chains, springs, bearings, tensioner, flange rollers, tires, hydraulics, bushings, grease zerks, etc are in excellent shape. Take off drive chains when travel. All this stuff is very basic and very cheap.
3) depth gauge wheels - tight- not worn & the gaps next to openers are at correct specs. Again- not hard.
4) openers in good shape. Replace if they are worn. Easy.
5) seed tubes, firmers (if have), closing wheels, etc etc.

have someone who knows planters look all this over. This is simple stuff. For planters- these rascals are pretty basic to fix & do a nice job when done. If u spent off season doing some tlc on them- would not be crazy cost or time & done right u would have a solid planter that last for years.

I'd just make that whatever you buy just buy it right because it will cost money lol. All above adds up especially if you're into new meters and want row cleaners. Easy spend 2k fixin it up for a damn good food plot planter

I paid $2500.00 about 4 years ago for a no till 2 row , the planter was completely redone all new parts , drive gears , chains , bushing , bearings , got Kinze beans meter. Corn meter . They are a simple machine . Probably last me my life time for the 3 times I've used it . Just giving you a price comparison ..

Top Bottom