Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Kansas Unit 15

Baby-G

PMA Member
There is a long story to this, but basically I lead to believe I had a 450 acre piece of private property to hunt that a friend had got us permission to hunt on in Unit 15 in Kansas. After drawing the tag my friend has changed his story and says he's allowed to take someone with him to film....

So basically I've tried hard to get permission on 20 different properties in the unit and it seems locked up tighter than a jug. I really hate to hunt public if there is high hunting pressure and its a really long expensive drive out there with food and hotel.

Does anyone have an opinion if the public would be worth spending the $1500 in expenses to hunt public or might have a hook up with someone that I could pay to hunt (reasonably) or might give me permission.

Thanks,

Patrick

I had a friend like that once. We don't talk much anymore. Great guy on the surface but verry little of what he said was true. Years ago he almost had me convinced that he had won a hunt for 2 in Illinois and invited me to come. Had me going for several months until I called the outfitter to find no hunts had been given as a prize.

I wish I had some info on Kansas for you but I have none. Luckily in my situation my Buddy's lie included the tag so I wasn't in the boat you are in, holding an expensive tag.

Good luck!

Sorry to hear that you got took. I wouldn't be afraid of the public land but I would have a tough time enjoying the hunt with him

I rifle hunted unit 14 near 15. I would not be afraid to bow hunt public at all. I would seriously bring a small boat or kayak. there were some great spots I located that you needed a boat (which I didn't have) to get to. Good luck.

I hate to eat an expensive tag like that, but I may just mark it off as a lesson learned and cut my losses. Better to do that, than to throw more money at it. Especially when I don't feel good about it. I should draw a late muzzleloader tag for Iowa anyways.......

And I know that I have a spot all locked up in Iowa to hunt!

I hate to eat an expensive tag like that, but I may just mark it off as a lesson learned and cut my losses. Better to do that, than to throw more money at it. Especially when I don't feel good about it. I should draw a late muzzleloader tag for Iowa anyways.......

And I know that I have a spot all locked up in Iowa to hunt!

I group of us from Michigan went out there rifle hunting. One guy shot a 170"+. Public ground. I would not eat a tag if I were you. That being said, it appears you may be from Kentucky, so that might be comparable now that Kansas has really opened the tags up. Just my 2c.

I would hunt public ground, you can do it for pretty cheap and get on good deer. I'd take a tent and just camp way cheaper than a hotel

Crappy situation but if the unit has enough good looking public I would go solo and try to stick a good one just to rub it in my "friends" face. Yes, I'm that kind of guy.

Been my experience KS has light hunting pressure (compared to MO). I'm sure there are some heavy hit areas. I hunt public in unit 11 and its been good. Harder to try and find a bowhunter than not when I made my rounds on the public grounds.

Did you draw a bow or gun tag? That's a top unit to hunt. Eating that tag would be the equivalent of eating a unit 5 Iowa tag IMO.

I would tell him cool, looks like I am hunting and you are filming :)

I would take my chances and hunt public. It is always rewarding to get it done on public.

I also would hunt. Depending on how good of friends you are with the guy, there's a chance I would tell him I'd film him up until like the day before we were supposed to leave also. I'm that kind of guy when I get burnt.

If you have the vacation time then you should go and give it a try so I can live vicariously through you. Besides, all the big deer in Iowa were killed off in the EHD epidemic. ;)

I did find a really good looking public hunting wildlife area that sure looked awesome. Maybe I'll give it a whirl?

Don't know why you would even second guess not going??? I have never hunted out of state and probably never will. But if I was putting in for preference points for years or even bought one over the counter online, I would do everything in my power to be there.......public or private!

I wouldn't let the whole public thing discourage you, you of all people should know that there are giants killed on public every year!

When are you planning to go? Will you be able to stay with buddy and just not hunt that farm or will you have to stay in a hotel seperate?

I drew a bow tag. Going November 4th thru 14th. I will be able to room with a buddy in all likelihood. I know there is big deer killed on Public land, but in my opinion private is way better chances do to not having people walking in on your hunt...

Top Bottom