Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Labs???

mplane72

PMA Member
Anybody have any suggestions on where to find a good pup. Established breeders/kennell suggestions welcome but most of them I think I have found on the interweb. Info on who to avoid is also valuable.

If anyone happens to knows of an individual that occasionally breeds their dog and might be hard to find that is what I'm really hoping for here.

What I'm really looking for is strong retrieval instinct. Pointing not necessary. All my dogs in the past have turned into 100 pound tanks. This time around I'm hoping to find a pup from a smaller line.

Thanks

If you can’t find anything local, I’m breeding my dog in the end of May. (I’m about 1.5 hrs East of quad cities). So they won’t be ready until 12 weeks after that. My dog is one pass away from her HRCH (hunter receiver champion) and the male is a grand champion. His parents are both grand champions and my dogs parents are a grand champion and a HRCH. This doesn’t mean a whole lot to people who don’t run dogs in hunt tests, but it does mean that the puppies should be trainable and have a good temper. Obviously there’s no guarantee she’ll get pregnant, but just throwing it out there. Good luck with your search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can’t find anything local, I’m breeding my dog in the end of May. (I’m about 1.5 hrs East of quad cities). So they won’t be ready until 12 weeks after that. My dog is one pass away from her HRCH (hunter receiver champion) and the male is a grand champion. His parents are both grand champions and my dogs parents are a grand champion and a HRCH. This doesn’t mean a whole lot to people who don’t run dogs in hunt tests, but it does mean that the puppies should be trainable and have a good temper. Obviously there’s no guarantee she’ll get pregnant, but just throwing it out there. Good luck with your search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. I will keep you in mind. I've been thinking about a new pup for a while and made the mistake of saying so last night at the dinner table. Puppy fever has no swept the house so we'll see what happens.

We have a black lab from Iowa Pointing Labs near Knoxville. It is a large breeder and not all the labs necessarily point. I looked around a lot when we were searching for a puppy and a couple friends had dogs from Iowa Pointing Labs. I wanted to make sure the dog we purchased was great around kids and in the house, but had that switch to be an aggressive hunter. Our lab is smaller (~60lb) and exceeded our expectations both in the home and in the field. I mainly upland hunt with our dog, but he loves to train in the water. I know there are great dogs around, but the small sample of dogs that me and my friends own from Iowa Pointing Labs fit our needs really well. I will end with a quote my friend told me about his lab from Iowa Pointing Labs when I was looking, he said " I have had prettier looking labs in the past, but this dog is by far the smartest and easiest to train, and that is the most important thing to me at the end of the day." Good luck looking and your right, once you bring it up to the family about a new puppy, it is pretty much a done deal!

Anybody have any suggestions on where to find a good pup. Established breeders/kennell suggestions welcome but most of them I think I have found on the interweb. Info on who to avoid is also valuable.

If anyone happens to knows of an individual that occasionally breeds their dog and might be hard to find that is what I'm really hoping for here.

What I'm really looking for is strong retrieval instinct. Pointing not necessary. All my dogs in the past have turned into 100 pound tanks. This time around I'm hoping to find a pup from a smaller line.

Thanks

what kind of dog are you looking for? A Ferrari or a Chevy Silverado? Are you hunting them hard? Upland, waterfowl, sheds, etc? I’d steer clear of Iowa pointing labs, in my personal experience I’ve yet to hunt over one that was even close to what someone marketing their dogs as pointing labs should do. If you’re looking for a good pointing/medium size/high pedigree I’d venture out into the South Dakota/Minnesota area. Some fantastic breeders and strong bloodlines. Do your homework, check out those pedigrees.

Sound like Hodge could have a good candidate for you as well. It’s hard to argue on a dog when his pedigree is stacked.

First, this will be a family dog. Second, it will be a duck dog. I have not hunted upland in a long time so pointing is the least of my concerns. Temperament, intelligence, retrieval instinct and health are my priorities. I train my own dogs so if it comes from a pointing line and shows the ability I will work to develop it as best I can but I've always like flushing dogs anyway.

Iowa pointing labs has been on my radar for sometime. I won't lie. I wasn't excited about spending that kind of money on a dog. My in laws charge significantly more for their boxers and they don't do anything but look pretty and drool so what the hell. I have spoken to numerous owners who were quite happy with their dogs from there. I just put down deposit this morning for a pup.

Thanks to all.

Top Bottom