Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Land prices / insane!!!

I know a couple biz owners who mis spent ppp and the G came after them. I guess some slip through. Not enough resources to look at everyone.
It’s very simple, businesses received that money to pay their employees salaries. Majority of these “big” paid businesses didn’t miss a beat during COVID. So they merely did what they were told by their accountant; pay your employees with this money. Take the money you would have done your normal payroll with and invest that amount. Nothing illegal about it………….

The rich get richer.

We'll take that 600 acres that use to throw off several nice bucks a year and split it 10 ways...10x the hunters=less quality bucks over time. Those 40s and 80s should be less valuable just by the quality of the hunt and your larger farms will become fewer and far between bringing the value up just by the supply.
Logically yes, in practice, no, way smaller buyer pool creates less demand. I have saw it in person multiple times. A 20 or 40 will have more potential buyers and they are willing to over pay because they can afford the payment. Most LARGE tract buyers look closer at value and price because every increase in $ per acre makes a larger total price quickly.

Logically yes, in practice, no, way smaller buyer pool creates less demand. I have saw it in person multiple times. A 20 or 40 will have more potential buyers and they are willing to over pay because they can afford the payment. Most LARGE tract buyers look closer at value and price because every increase in $ per acre makes a larger total price quickly.
You could very well be correct. My thought is years down the road and the trend continues. If I'm a seller, and there is a way to split a larger tract that I'm selling and it will bring a substantial amount more, why not? If you have a true survivor larger REC tract 20 years from now, we'll say 200 acres on up, they could then become the sought after tract. You won't need a large pool of buyers because the pool of properties will also be small. Until (if)we get there, you won't know how it plays out.

You could very well be correct. My thought is years down the road and the trend continues. If I'm a seller, and there is a way to split a larger tract that I'm selling and it will bring a substantial amount more, why not? If you have a true survivor larger REC tract 20 years from now, we'll say 200 acres on up, they could then become the sought after tract. You won't need a large pool of buyers because the pool of properties will also be small. Until (if)we get there, you won't know how it plays out.
Just a FWIW...I traveled all the way to southern Texas about 20 years ago now to do a wild hog/javelina hunt. The outfitter that we went with talked at length about "segmentation" and not in a positive light. There, even 20+ years ago now, land was being subdivided and sold in smaller and smaller lots than they had historically.

I think Muskrat is right...we will see that same phenomenon here in Iowa more and more in the future. That is, larger tracts split up and sold for more $$'s. I don't like the sounds of it, but it seems like it is probable to me. I think we are already seeing it actually.

I think Muskrat is right...we will see that same phenomenon here in Iowa more and more in the future. That is, larger tracts split up and sold for more $$'s. I don't like the sounds of it, but it seems like it is probable to me. I think we are already seeing it actually.
I started seeing this in my area back in the 1990's. It wasn't large tracts bought and parceled, more along the lines of a 40 acre here an 80 acre parcel there getting sold off as rec ground. This happened all up and down the Cedar River. There used to be large groups of shotgun hunters who pushed the river bottom from bridge to bridge, with trucks of orange clad hunters filling the cabs and beds of trucks running up and down the road. Parcels got bought up and posted as no hunting by the new owners, which shut down the deer drives, for better or for worse. Haven't seen truckloads of shotgun hunters for 10+ years now, maybe longer.

I agree 100% that the larger tracts are getting sliced and diced and will continue to do so. My thought is that the larger tracts that stay whole could become more valuable because there will be fewer of them as time goes on. Yes, you have less buyers for the amount of larger tracts now but you will have less larger tracts to buy in 20 years.

I can see what you are saying. If there is only a couple "big" tracts left in the state, they could become extremely sought after, even if only a few can afford them.

The 40's (and the 80's) are more valuable per acre because they're simply affordable to a larger pool of buyers. I don't disagree with you that all the breaking up of large acreages eventually means the quality of hunting goes down, but for a lot of guys there's a big difference between hunting on hundreds of acres of public land vs. 40 acres of *your own dirt*. For a lot of guys, just being able to hunt their own ground trumps the need to have an opportunity at a 160" buck every year. Especially if you've got kids and are nervous about just *safety* at a minimum in the public woods during gun season. It's just the way of things, especially in an area where all the youtube hunting video wannabe stars are hyping up public land. Don't get me wrong, I love that we have public land available to hunt. I have hunted public land all over the U.S., and a lot in southern Iowa, but it still doesn't compare - for me - to even a small acreage *that is my own*.
That 80 you recently listed in Wayne county looks to have good potential.

Top Bottom