Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Lease rate

Go through this entire thread and read each and every one of my responses. I continue to respond as I continue to be called out and poked fun at; sorry for having a backbone.

The nice thing about leasing is you can wait for the first lease owner to get the herd and property straightened around, then come in and throw a little more money at the farmer than the first guy and it's all yours! When all you guys who love to lease get everything locked up and the rest of us have no good options, that's what I'll do! You can't be upset either, it's the game you entered and capitalism at it's finest.

Last edited:
This thread started out with someone asking a question on what was the average lease rate. It quickly spiraled downward from there. Leasing is a form of capitalism. If you don’t believe in capitalism then I am not sure what to tell you. If you can trade hunting rights for something other than money…..well then that’s great too. Portraying leasing as evil…..well I don’t agree. I don’t agree that money is the root of all evil either. Money makes the world go around. When people forgo morals and ethics to pursue money then you can make a case for "evil". There is nothing morally or ethically wrong with landowners leasing their farms….not in the least. By the way for those wondering; it is super easy and relatively inexpensive to get hunting liability insurance. A couple hundred dollars will buy a $1,000,000 policy.​

There is no right or wrong answer on this one. I can see why people lease or don't lease. I can see why landowners lease or don't lease. At the end of the day is up to the landowner to decide what is best for their personal situation. Hunters can also decide what is best for their personal situation. In my opinion it really can't be expected to hunt somewhere for free on private ground. Whether you work on the farm and offer up small gifts or pay money to hunt there you are offering up some kind of value to that landowner. It is up to them to find what value they are looking for.

Leasing is for people that have more money than people skills. Same concept as getting a prostitute. Sure there might be less head aches and it's all yours for the time being but at the end of the day...... why pay for something you can get for free?

I know individuals who have leased property, and I have no issues with it. I know people who have permission to hunt great property, and I have no issues with that either. At the end of the day, I can honestly say that I don't let things like this bother me anymore. I used to get so bent out of shape over deer hunting, when in all reality I have so many other things to worry about in life that are higher priorities. I also realize that I shouldn't worry about what I can't control; complaining and arguing about what others do will not stop them from doing it.

Like many others have stated, if you don't like leasing, don't partake in it. If you want to lease, more power to you! My step father farms around 1,500 acres and I for one would not give him any grief if he leased out the hunting rights. In all reality, he took the risks and spent the money to own what he has (property, equipment), and pays the taxes and insurance, etc. If he wants to make a little bit of that money back then so be it.

Like I said, I used to have a completely different mentality on leasing, but the older I've become the less I worry about things I can't control.

Leasing is for people that have more money than people skills. Same concept as getting a prostitute. Sure there might be less head aches and it's all yours for the time being but at the end of the day...... why pay for something you can get for free?

Do you know how much I've paid my wife in 25yrs?
Prostitute could be cheaper!
Lol

This simply is not true. Most people that have a lot of money have exceptional people skills. The top paying roles in any plant that I go to is people who work with people every day and if they do not have people skills they will not last long in that position. What they do not have is time. We live in a world where we are doing more with less people. These guys bust their balls to get ahead and the little time they have left over at the end of the week is most likely spent with family. I know a lot of guys in this scenario.

Also, I would be way ahead in the money game if I simply paid for a prostitute every week vs going the wife, home, kids route. Nothing is free. I would own my own farm by now if I went that route.

If you spend 40-50 hours a year working on a farm that is money. If that farmer did not have a guy he would most likely pay someone $10-$20 an hour to do that work. Nothing is free.

The farms you can truly hunt for free are few and far between. Unfortunately there are a lot of guys that are not willing to put any time in developing a relationship with the landowner or helping out around the farm. A lot of farmers over the years have been burnt out by these types of guys which sucks for the guys willing to lend out a helping hand to hunt.

Some of these responses to leasing cannot be serious...almost comical at this point.

Comical is a good thing! People need to lighten up a little bit. It's just a stupid deer. Like sureshot said way more important things in day to day life to worry about.

I have no problem where this thread went. I am happy to see some opinions besides the milk toast stuff I generally see. Why not state your opinion honestly. I am actually surprised how much support leasing has. The thing is if someone leases farm land, dont gripe to the state and demand depredation tags to protect your crops. You have 1 guy hunting 1200 acres its a trade off you need to be able to swallow. Also as far as insurance, it should be law. To many landowners are unaware that taking payment of any kind could come back to them. At least they could get enough to outweigh that risk instead of being cheated.

I have no problem where this thread went. I am happy to see some opinions besides the milk toast stuff I generally see. Why not state your opinion honestly. I am actually surprised how much support leasing has. The thing is if someone leases farm land, dont gripe to the state and demand depredation tags to protect your crops. You have 1 guy hunting 1200 acres its a trade off you need to be able to swallow. Also as far as insurance, it should be law. To many landowners are unaware that taking payment of any kind could come back to them. At least they could get enough to outweigh that risk instead of being cheated.

Rifles in our Southern counties, shed bucks and piles of antlerless deer getting whacked is a product of the limited access/leasing trends as well. When you have large chunks of land locked up by just a few people, well you see where that went. The Ag lobby and State step in...

How many acres do you own and manage? What's your annual crop cost? What kind of taxes and insurance do you pay a year? You might want to walk in a man's shoes before you try telling them what to do!

If the locals want to keep out of town leasers and land owners away then they need to start blasting every 120 inch buck they see. Its a lot less fun to pay a bunch of money and not have a crack at a big buck.

20 years ago it was shoot any buck you see, then that wasn't fun anymore so we went to make sure its big, type attitude. Then all the sudden eveyone is doing it and there are more bigger bucks around. Then all the sudden out of town landowners move in cause there are big bucks around, they pay more than the cattle guy could for ruff ground just to play on. They are also the types that restrict hunting access to locals. Then the lease money shows up cause they used to get permission from the farmers. Now farmers don't own it, and the guy that does is from outta town and won't let anyone hunt anyway.

I am back in the camp of shoot whatever the heck you want, its more fun anyway. Geez how many heads do you want on the wall anyway? About the last thing I want in my neighborhood is a 260 inch bomb getting killed, and I mean that. It would ruin things for a long time for the locals.

Anyway, my point is, I won't feel bad for guys that buy land or lease land for the sole purpose of shooting a deer, when I shoot that 2.5 year old 138 incher you have named "O Tanembaum", that has been eating out of your Buckmaster Blend food plot. I will probably cut off his horns and nail them to my barn, so you can come look when ever you feel like.

Buy it if you want, lease it if you want, but don't expect locals that used to hunt that timber to let him go just because you have him on camera.

How many acres do you own and manage? What's your annual crop cost? What kind of taxes and insurance do you pay a year? You might want to walk in a man's shoes before you try telling them what to do!

We milk 120 holstiens on 400/arcres where we raise our own feed to support our herd. I know exactly what it costs to farm.

Anyway, my point is, I won't feel bad for guys that buy land or lease land for the sole purpose of shooting a deer, when I shoot that 2.5 year old 138 incher you have named "O Tanembaum", that has been eating out of your Buckmaster Blend food plot. I will probably cut off his horns and nail them to my barn, so you can come look when ever you feel like.

I don't sweat what other people do. Life is too short and there are bigger issues people have to deal with.

Sod Savages line quoted above made my day.

And this mentality right here makes me glad that most of our neighbors live out of state or live in state and have money invested and want to shoot trophy deer.

If the locals want to keep out of town leasers and land owners away then they need to start blasting every 120 inch buck they see. Its a lot less fun to pay a bunch of money and not have a crack at a big buck.

20 years ago it was shoot any buck you see, then that wasn't fun anymore so we went to make sure its big, type attitude. Then all the sudden eveyone is doing it and there are more bigger bucks around. Then all the sudden out of town landowners move in cause there are big bucks around, they pay more than the cattle guy could for ruff ground just to play on. They are also the types that restrict hunting access to locals. Then the lease money shows up cause they used to get permission from the farmers. Now farmers don't own it, and the guy that does is from outta town and won't let anyone hunt anyway.

I am back in the camp of shoot whatever the heck you want, its more fun anyway. Geez how many heads do you want on the wall anyway? About the last thing I want in my neighborhood is a 260 inch bomb getting killed, and I mean that. It would ruin things for a long time for the locals.

Buy it if you want, lease it if you want, but don't expect locals that used to hunt that timber to let him go just because you have him on camera.

I am naming the next big buck I have on camera "O Tannenbaum" for sure! I don't agree with your mentality but that post did crack me up for sure. Well done.

The big rack frenzy has changed a lot of things for sure. A lot of negative, but the more people passing up young deer is a positive for the state as a whole for sure.

I just want everyone to know what to expect when they buy and lease up land in my hood. I have let big deer go, I have let tons of little deer go. But sometimes that smallish buck stands there a little too long. Or that doe blows snot at you one too many times. At the end of the day I will do what I want reguardless of what the neighbor wishes would happen.

And Gundog, you better send a pic IF you get one big enuf to use that name.

Top Bottom